Today in New Delhi, India
Jun 21, 2019-Friday
New Delhi
  • Humidity
  • Wind

Train services on harbour and main lines in Mumbai disrupted during morning rush hour

Rail fracture near Chunabhatti and rail roko by commuters at Asangaon disrupted Central Railway’s schedule on Tuesday morning

mumbai Updated: Nov 28, 2017 15:57 IST
HT Correspondents
HT Correspondents
Hindustan Times
Train services have resumed but are delayed on the Central Railway’s main and harbour lines on Tuesday.(HT File / Photo for representational purpose only)

The Central Railway’s train services on both the main and harbour lines were disrupted during morning peak hours on Tuesday because of a rail fracture and a rail roko by agitated commuters.

As a result, all CR trains and railway stations are delayed and packed to the hilt. Reports said that Kalyan, Panvel, Vashi, Mankhurd, Thane and other stations have huge crowds of passengers.

Harbour line services were delayed by at least 20 minutes, after south-bound trains stopped between Chunabhatti and GTB Nagar stations for around 15 minutes after a rail fracture was detected on a track at 8.25am. The Government Railway Police control room said that services resumed around 8.55am, but trains are running at restricted speed.

In a separate incident, services on the main line were disrupted after angry commuters at Asangaon station, on the Kalyan-Kasara, section held a rail roko and blocked south-bound trains. Commuters allegedly got upset when a long-distance train got the green signal during the rush hour instead of the train to CSMT.

Rajesh Ghaghav, president of Kalyan-Kasara and Karjat Passengers’ Association, said: “The problem arose when Rajyarani Express was given preference over a local train heading to CSMT. The local arrived on schedule, but left Asangaon station 17 minutes late. Instead of leaving at 8.30am, it left only at 8.47am, which had commuters fuming.”

As the train waited on the platform and the crowd at Asangaon station increased, a woman commuter, Deepa Sonawane, 31, got injured when she fell off an overcrowded train. She was rushed to Sion hospital for treatment.

Services restarted close to 25 minutes later, after the police managed to clear around 100 protesting passengers from the tracks.

Both incidents upset the CR’s peak-hour timetable, affecting commuters heading to work.

CR officials confirmed the incidents and said that rail traffic on both lines have resumed and that services are expected to normalise soon.

Just a day earlier, on Monday afternoon, main line services were hit following a technical snag in the signalling system at Thakurli, which affected all six lines there. Trains were running late till late evening because of it.

Even top railway officials, including Mumbai divisional railway managers of CR and WR, were forced to wait for 20 minutes for a train to arrive at Parel station after when they failed to board the train in which Union railway minister Piyush Goyal go in to go to Currey Road.

First Published: Nov 28, 2017 11:32 IST