2 suspects in 13/7 blasts identified, claims ATS
The state anti-terrorism squad (ATS) claims it has identified two persons suspected to have played a role in the triple blasts in city on July 13 last year.mumbai Updated: Mar 24, 2012 01:25 IST
The state anti-terrorism squad (ATS) claims it has identified two persons suspected to have played a role in the triple blasts in city on July 13 last year.
The two suspects were identified around the second week of March, said a senior ATS official who spoke to HT on condition of anonymity.
The officer said that Naquee Ahmed, who is being interrogated for his role in the blasts, spilled the beans on one of the two suspects. An ATS informer has been put on the job and a team is camping out to arrest the accused. “We have the suspect under our scanner and are waiting for the right time to make an arrest,” the officer said. The ATS has withheld the identities of the persons as well as their role in the blasts. The source refused to disclose the location where the suspects are holed up, but mentioned that the operation is taking place outside Maharashtra. He added that if all went well, the ATS would make “major arrests” in the 13/7 blasts case. So far, the ATS has arrested Naquee Ahmed, Haroon Naik, Kanwar Pathrija and Nadeem Sheikh for their role in the July 13, 2011 triple blasts that left 27 dead and 127 injured. Sheikh has confessed to his role before a magistrate.
Crucially, the ATS has also learnt that Waqaas and Tabrez, who are suspected to have planted the bombs, and top Indian Mujahideen operative Yasin Bhatkal, could still be holed up in the country.
The ATS officer said this information was gleaned from the four men arrested for the conspiracy and was tallied against inputs from informers.
First Published: Mar 24, 2012 01:19 IST