Today in New Delhi, India
May 20, 2019-Monday
New Delhi
  • Humidity
  • Wind

4 dead in Ulhasnagar collapse

Four people were killed in Ulhasnagar after heavy rain led to a wall collapse on Monday.

mumbai Updated: Aug 31, 2010 01:26 IST
HT Correspondent
HT Correspondent
Hindustan Times

Four people were killed in Ulhasnagar after heavy rain led to a wall collapse on Monday. Though there were no major incidents elsewhere in the city, rail and road traffic was hit by flooding, and minor landslides and wall collapses were reported from the suburbs.

The Thane rural police said the compound wall in Dr Babasaheb Ambedkar Nagar in Ulhasnagar collapsed on a house, killing four labourers on the spot.

All the four youths, who were 20 to 25 years old, were employees of a garment factory and had shifted to Ulhasnagar a year ago. They were identified as Pintya, Santosh, Dara and Suresh.

"We received a call at 4 am about the collapse. We alerted the fire brigade and the civic emergency cell. However, local residents had pulled out the bodies by the time help arrived," said Police Inspector R.K. Desai, of Hill Line police station.

In Mumbai, there were wall collapses at Bhandup (West) and Vikhroli, a balcony collapse at Sion, a landslide at Bhandup (West) and a slab collapse at Masjid Bunder. Three people were injured in the Vikhroli collapse.

A child was injured in a wall collapse at Mulund (West). Thirty trees fell in the city and suburbs.

The Brihanmumbai Municipal Corporation (BMC) disaster control room said there was flooding at Dahisar subway, Hindmata, Andheri subway, Vile Parle, Marol Naka, Saki Naka, Kurla station, Khar, Chembur and Juhu Tara Road. Between 8.30 am and 8.30 pm, 38.7 mm of rain was recorded at Colaba, while 63.7 mm was recorded at Santacruz.

There were traffic jams due to flooding at low-lying areas such as King’s Circle, Hindmata, Milan Subway and Vile Parle. The traffic police had to deploy additional manpower in these areas.

The situation was aggravated, policemen said, because civic officials kept manholes open at certain spots.

The traffic control room issued an alert to citizens to avoid low-lying areas.

"Traffic just would not move. I was stuck at Sion junction for more than 20 minutes. Since it was raining heavily, I could not even step out of the car," said Ankit Sharma.

Brihanmumbai Electric Supply and Transport (BEST) drivers complained of poor visibility and said many of them had to run buses with the headlights on during the day.

"We deployed additional staff at bus depots in flooded areas during the evening peak hours to clear the rush," a BEST spokesperson said.

There were similar problems on the railway network. "Central Railway (CR) services were running 20 minutes behind schedule. There was a long delay between trains," said Asha Joshi, a student from Mulund.

However, CR officials denied the delay was due to the downpour; they blamed it on a chain-pulling incident. "There were no monsoon-related disruptions, though there was a minor problem due to a chain-pulling incident," said S.C. Mudgerikar, CR’s chief spokesperson.

"The Western Railway (WR) ran smoothly and there were no delays due to the monsoon. There were traffic jams at level crossing gates, which led to a few delays, but otherwise the trains ran smoothly," said S.S. Gupta, WR’s chief spokesperson.

Konkan Railway services ran cautiously, staying within specially-assigned speed limits.

(With inputs fromKiran Sonawane)

First Published: Aug 31, 2010 01:25 IST