Don’t eat out during summer
When Manish Jhaveri (37) came down with fever last Monday, he popped a paracetamol tablet. But, when the fever did not over the next few days, the Mumbai Central resident was admitted to Bhatia Hospital on April 25.mumbai Updated: May 10, 2010 01:12 IST
When Manish Jhaveri (37) came down with fever last Monday, he popped a paracetamol tablet.
But, when the fever did not over the next few days, the Mumbai Central resident was admitted to Bhatia Hospital on April 25.
A blood test revealed that he had developed typhoid and doctors suspected Jhaveri’s habit of consuming fruit juices at street stalls and the high temperature in the city might be the reasons for his ailment.
Apart from the usual dehydration and sunstroke, doctors also said that cases of gastroenteritis, jaundice, typhoid and fungal infections tend to increase during summer.
“This year, the city’s water crisis is the worst in a long time. People will be supplied water from the bottom of the lakes, which will be contaminated with bacteria. This will definitely lead to an increase in cases of jaundice,” said Dr Bharat Shah, consultant physician at Sir Hurkisondas Nurrottamdas and Jaslok Hospitals. Doctors said that the summer heat could also make food spoil faster.
“People eating in restaurants and roadside vendors risk food poisoning as the food prepared in the morning can spoil by the evening,” said Dr Hemant Thacker, consultant physician at Breach Candy Hospital.
Dr K. Ravishankar of Jaslok Hospital said cases of migraine increase in the summer months. “Migraines are headaches triggered by environmental causes and one of the major causes is heat,” said Ravishankar.
First Published: May 10, 2010 01:11 IST