‘Teacher’s presence is beyond the class’
What is the biggest professional challenge that you face in your role as a principal?
The biggest challenge is satisfying all the stakeholders; be it the students, parents or the regulatory boards; providing a safe and secure environment for learning; and sensitising students to the society. Also, it is difficult to prepare a fine amalgamation of traditional values and progressive thinking that the students of the 21st century will accept.
A rise in the number of pupils, dealing with teachers that have varying levels of knowledge about content and pedagogy, keeping up with advanced technology and changing expectations of quality and performance, are a few other challenges I face as a principal of a school.
Once a teacher, always a teacher: Do you agree?
A teacher’s presence is beyond the classroom. The memories of a teacher remain imprinted in a child’s mind for life. A teacher is not tied into boundaries of subjects and is always accessible to students. A child will not do something because a teacher is watching; he will do it right because he has been taught to watch his actions.
Success has become an obsession with people of all ages nowadays. Your comments.
Obsession is said to be the fuel of success. Obsession gives you the grit to push on when the odds are completely stacked against you. However, success doesn’t come easily. You don’t just dedicate your time, you dedicate your life. You will risk your money, your reputation, your relationships, and even your health. How in the world will you bring yourself to do all this if you are not obsessed?
What emphasis you put on teacher’s training?
A teacher may have completed his or her training without learning new techniques. When this happens, the material becomes mundane and does not adequately incorporate new techniques and technology that may be available. Today, teacher education programmes offer teachers new ways to keep their classrooms and curriculum fresh, exciting, and highly educational. These programmes also provide access to new teaching styles and offer further certification.
What is your view in GenNext biggest strength? What are the key areas of improvement?
Millennials are exceptionally technological savvy. After all, many of them grew up with devices in their hands. They are innovative, have good networking skills, are resourceful, diverse and ambitious and believe in entrepreneurialism. They are a strong, free-thinking group. On the other hand, their weaknesses include a lack of commitment, devaluing face-to-face communication, and frequent job-hopping and impatience.
How can the elderly contribute to the student’s growth?
Young adults require emotional skills to succeed in life. These are attitudes, behaviours and strategies required to operate as a productive adult in an increasingly complex and technical world. Older adults have these skills and experiences in abundance.
Contrary to widespread beliefs that older populations consume resources that would otherwise go to youth, there is a growing reason to think that older people may be just the resource children need. However, generativity or intergenerational engagement will require institutional and cultural change.
What according to you is the role of media in education?
The use of media in the teaching-learning process could raise the students’ interest in the lesson and their responsibility to control their learning. Media provides information, spreads awareness and civic responsibility and helps children productively use their leisure time. They are in fact, non-formal agencies that have wide coverage of educational items in a systematic way.
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- The virtual library will help students of Classes 9 to 12 develop the habit of reading newspapers and competition-related materials.
- A dietitian working with the Asian Heart Hospital in BKC, Dr Patil has been working with Covid-19 patients at the BKC centre for the past six months.
- Senior principal Vineeta Arora appreciated the efforts made by BOSS and said that it has sincerely committed itself to the betterment of the society, truly exemplifying the fundamental values of the Bharatiya Vidya Bhavan.
- The first part of this new series features Devashish Jindal and Akash Kadiyan who have founded the entertainment firm Rhino Records that makes catchy video songs that promote India’s diverse regional music, culture and talent.
- They are not only equipped to achieve good ranks in the academics field but also are equally trained to their best potential for performing well in their extracurricular activities including sports.
- A plethora of activities were organised during the festival like aerobics, taekwondo, karate, kickboxing, yoga, poster making, slogan writing and poem recitation.
- The general population is expected to get the dose after it, which means the wait for them ranges between three and six months.
- Season 2 of CSP will be divided in different categories as per the new curricular and pedagogical structure of the primary, middle and secondary school students.
- With India on the verge of joining the rest of the world by immunizing its population of 1.3 billion against covid-19, there couldn't be a better time and occasion to also understand what is vaccination?
- The Uddhav Thackeray government allotted 102 acres of salt pan land to the Mumbai Metropolitan Region Development Authority (MMRDA) for building an integrated car shed in Kanjurmarg, in east-central Mumbai, last year in a decision opposed by the Centre, which claimed ownership.
- The little artists created art using twigs, dry leaves, pebbles, grass etc. The activity helped develop their motor skills and imagination.
- The Covid-19 pandemic disrupted the original celebration-related plans of the school but with the help of the patrons a special online platform was developed to hold various competitions.
- While the department had earlier decided to do away with the FCFS rounds this year, the decision was revoked owing to a large number of students still without seats after five admission rounds.
- Around 100 players from different schools of the district participated in the competitions.
- Kartik again proved that persistence and determination are a sure way to success and glory.