State blames deceased’s kin
The state government in the Legislative Council put the blame for the bizarre mix-up case at Sion Hospital on the relatives of the man who died due to a ward boy Lalit Parkar’s mistake.mumbai Updated: Jul 15, 2010 02:16 IST
The state government in the Legislative Council put the blame for the bizarre mix-up case at Sion Hospital on the relatives of the man who died due to a ward boy Lalit Parkar’s mistake.
Parkar was suspended after an inquiry into the case.
According to the family, Parkar mistook an unconscious Mahadev Uppar for another Motiram Shelar who had died and started preparing to take him to the mortuary.
The ward boy had even put cotton swabs in Uppar’s nostrils, before he realised the mistake.
Uppar died 30 minutes after the incident.
Nationalist Congress Party MLC Hemant Takle raised the incident, which took place on May 3, in the Council.
“The state’s move to suspend Parkar is just a temporary solution. Civic and government-run hospitals need urgent overhauling,” Takle said.
But Minister of State, Bhaskar Jadhav, said after investigation, it was found that Uppar’s relatives had created the confusion.
“In civic hospitals there is a system where the deceased’s cot is covered with curtains and kept for a while after which the ward boy starts preparing for the mortuary,” said Jadhav.
“In this case, Uppar’s relatives shifted the cover from Shelar’s cot towards Uppar’s cot and Parkar thought that he is dead. It is only when Parkar pushed the cotton balls and Uppar moved his hand that he realised something is wrong,” he said.
The municipal corporation is conducting further investigations in the case, Jadhav added.
First Published: Jul 15, 2010 02:15 IST