Dum Maaro Dum ka dum
The iconic song has been chosen as the ‘song of the century.’music Updated: Jul 31, 2012 21:13 IST
The iconic song has been chosen as the ‘song of the century’
It has been decided! The song, Dum Maaro Dum, which gained cult status in India in the early 70s, has been voted as the song of the century by our readers.
Picturised on actors Zeenat Aman and Dev Anand, the song from the 1971 film, Hare Rama Hare Krishna, was composed by RD Burman, written by Anand Bakshi and sung by Asha Bhosle. The polling to decide the top song of the century was a Fever 104 initiative as part of Cinema@100, led by Hindustan Times to celebrate 100 years of Indian cinema.
In the first leg of the contest, 10 songs were short listed out of the 100 memorable songs of the century, through public voting. In the second phase, thousands of votes poured in from across the country to choose the top song from these ten hit numbers, and Dum Maaro Dum emerged as the winner.
Actor Zeenat Aman says that she is flattered by the win. “I am very very happy. The film released in 1971, and today, more than 40 years later, it’s song is the song of the century.” Recalling her memories of shooting the song, she says, “We shot it in Kathmandu with real hippies, and there were lot of young people who had come from the West. Nepal was the best destination to hang out then. We shot the song at night. It has been remixed many times, but the original stays original,” she says.
The song was remixed and used as an item number in Rohan Sippy’s film, Dum Maaro Dum, and picturised on actor Deepika Padukone. Not only this, Zeenat Aman too performed the number in the 2003 flick, Boom.
Did you know?
* The song was supposed to be sung by Lata Mangeshkar and Usha Uthup, with Mangeshkar doing vocals for the good girl and Uthup singing for the bad girl. But later, due to changes, it ended up being singer Asha Bhosle’s solo number.
* Actor Dev Anand did not include the complete version of the song in the film as he was worried the song would overshadow the film.
Dum Maaro Dum
* Starring: Dev Anand, Zeenat Aman (both above)
* Sung by: Asha Bhosle
* Film: Hare Rama Hare Krishna
* Director: Dev Anand
* Composer: RD Burman
* Length: 1 minute 50 seconds
The top 10 songs of the century
1. Dum Maaro Dum from Hare Rama Hare Krishna (1971)
2. Om Shanti Om from Karz (1980).
3. Chaiyya Chaiyya from Dil Se (1998)
4. Pehla Nasha from Jo Jeeta Wohi Sikandar (1992)
5. Mere Sapno Ki Raani from Aradhana (1969)
6. Tere Bina Zindagi from Aandhi (1976)
7. Kajraare from Bunty Aur Babli (2005)
8. Ek Do Teen from Tezaab (1988)
9. Babuji Dheere Chalna from Aar Paar (1954)
10. Kal Ho Na Ho from Kal Ho Na Ho (2003)
First Published: Jul 30, 2012 18:20 IST