Mercury, Ivor, Mobo and Olivier nominated Indian-origin, British songwriter- composer Nitin Sawhney is coming out with his ninth studio album, Last Days of Meaning. Known for exploring themes such as multiculturalism, politics and spirituality, he is inspired this time by the brunt borne by immigrants in England.
“In London, you are made to feel like an outsider and I didn’t feel at home even in India, despite my Indian origin, because I was born in England,” says Sawhney, whose career spans production and composition work with Sting, Shakira and Paul McCartney, to name a few.
Sawhney is also on a high for composing the orchestral music for BAFTA nominated BBC Entertainment series, Human Planet. It was during the sessions for the series that he struck a friendship with John Hurt, the narrator of the series, who has collaborated for Sawhney’s album.
Last Days of Meaning traces the character of Donald Meaning (played by Hurt), who sits in a room raging against memories, society and himself with a tape recorder sent to him by his ex-wife that contains the tracks of the album.Sawhney is also directing and writing a play about the conversation that happened in Berlin between Albert Einstein and Rabindranath Tagore. He has also “written the sleep notes” for sitarist Anushka Shankar’s new album.
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- BTS singer Jungkook hosted a VLive on Sunday. During the chat, he revealed his new hair colour, thanked the ARMY, listened to songs and gave everyone a good look at his arm tattoos.
- Singer Nick Jonas shared his thoughts on BTS, to the delight of the pop group's fans. Here's what he said.
- BTS singer Jungkook released an alternative bridge of the group's song Dis-ease. The 45-second clip has the BTS member singing in English.
- Bigg Boss 13 star Shehnaaz Gill romances Badshah in new song Fly, but 'looks part Indian-part Thai'. Watch the video here.
- Rohanpreet Singh was bowled over by Neha Kakkar's "hotness" in their glamorous new photoshoot together. See pictures here.
- BTS singers Jimin and V graduated from Global Cyber University. The duo has been conferred with the Presidential Award as well.
- Singer Shreya Ghoshal has announced her first pregnancy. She is married to Shiladitya M since six years.
- BTS leader RM, during a conversation about India, revealed that he was familiar with Daler Mehndi's hit Punjabi track Tunak Tunak Tun and confessed he sang the song in middle school.
- Singer Harshdeep Kaur and husband Mankeet Singh have welcomed a son. They had earlier shared several posts trying to guess the baby's gender, wondering if the child would be a 'Singh' or a 'Kaur'.