My singing potential untapped in Bollywood: Jaspinder Narula
Singer Jaspinder Narula, who is back after a prolonged break from the playback scene, says her singing potential and versatility have not been utilised well enough in Bollywood.
"My personal style of singing has never been used. I feel my voice is suited best for romantic and softer songs. But I have never been given a chance. Now I am looking forward to good work," Jaspinder told IANS on phone from Mumbai.
Currently a participant in NDTV Imagine's new music show Dhoom Macha De, Jaspinder feels that singers in the Indian music industry are underestimated in terms of their versatility and calibre.
Jaspinder shot to fame in 1998 after a duet with Remo Fernandes in the Kajol- Ajay Devgan starrer Pyaar To Hona Hi Tha. Since then, she has been offered only folk or energetic and loud numbers in films.
She said: "I have worked with a number of music directors but unfortunately I have always been offered to sing dhoom dhadake (loud and peppy) numbers only. The directors should explore the full potential of a singer."
Among the present lot of music directors in India, Jaspinder loves the music composed by Shankar-Ehsaan-Loy, Pritam and Vishal-Shekhar and would like to work with them in the near future.
So is Shankar Mahadevan in her list of favourites because he is a judge for Dhoom Macha De?
Jaspinder clarified that her association with Shankar went back to the time when both of them were struggling to carve a niche as singers in Bollywood.
"I don't think he will be partial towards me," she said.
Asked why she decided to participate in the TV show, Jaspinder said: Dhoom Macha De is a unique reality show. It was a chance for me to share the stage with many of my contemporaries and basically it is a lot of fun!"
Jaspinder, who was in Canada for the past few months, is also pursuing a PhD on the influence of Urdu and Persian on Hindustani classical music and will be receiving her degree soon.
She hopes to bring back the real aesthetics of Indian music, which she says is getting lost due to the influence of Western music.
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- The Recording Academy announced the list of performers for Grammys 2021. BTS, Taylor Swift, Harry Styles and many more will perform at this year's cereony.
- Bigg Boss 14 winner Rubina Dilaik and Bigg Boss 13's Paras Chhabra are coming together for a music video. See their pictures and videos from the shoot.
- BTS singer Jungkook hosted a VLive on Sunday. During the chat, he revealed his new hair colour, thanked the ARMY, listened to songs and gave everyone a good look at his arm tattoos.
- Singer Nick Jonas shared his thoughts on BTS, to the delight of the pop group's fans. Here's what he said.
- BTS singer Jungkook released an alternative bridge of the group's song Dis-ease. The 45-second clip has the BTS member singing in English.
- Bigg Boss 13 star Shehnaaz Gill romances Badshah in new song Fly, but 'looks part Indian-part Thai'. Watch the video here.
- Rohanpreet Singh was bowled over by Neha Kakkar's "hotness" in their glamorous new photoshoot together. See pictures here.
- BTS singers Jimin and V graduated from Global Cyber University. The duo has been conferred with the Presidential Award as well.
- Singer Shreya Ghoshal has announced her first pregnancy. She is married to Shiladitya M since six years.
- BTS leader RM, during a conversation about India, revealed that he was familiar with Daler Mehndi's hit Punjabi track Tunak Tunak Tun and confessed he sang the song in middle school.