Sonu Nigam posts video of azaan from his home, sparks controversy yet again
Sonu Nigam courted controversy again when he posted a 2-minute video, presumably from his house, in which azaan can be heard. The video was possibly in response to all those who questioned if he could even hear the sounds of the Muslim call to prayer from his home, after Nigam publicly spoke out against the disturbance caused by the use of loudspeakers for religious purposes.
Sonu captioned the video, “Good morning India,” although it appears to have been shot either late evening or very early morning since it is dark.
The singer attracted controversy when he complained against the use of loudspeakers for religious purposes on April 17. His tweets were seen as insensitive and even prompted a cleric to announce a Rs 10 lakh reward for anyone who could shave Sonu’s head and garland him with shoes.
Several of his contemporaries took stands against his opinion. Actor Kangana Ranaut, while defending his freedom of expression, said that she loves the sound of azaan. This was backed up by Javed Akhtar, who said that religion shouldn’t disturb anyone. Singers Shaan and Kailash Kher, however, supported Sonu. As did self-proclaimed film critic Kamaal Rashid Khan, who offered him the opportunity to compose every song for his next movie (KRK hasn’t made a movie since his 2008 film Deshdrohi), were he to be shunned from Bollywood.
On April 19, Sonu organised a press conference to document the shaving of his head. The controversy also led to public protests, and in one isolated incident, the stabbing of a man who supported the singer on Facebook.
Follow @htshowbiz for more
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- BTS singer Jungkook took to Twitter and shared a selfie flaunting his blue hair. The singer caused a frenzy among fans and left a few wondering if the hair colour change has something to do with his mixtape.
- Renowned Punjabi singer Sardool Sikander died on Wednesday. Several Punjabi and Bollywood celebrities remembered him on social media.
- BTS served a treat for their fans as they appeared on the recent episode of MTV Unplugged. RM, Jin, Suga, J-Hope, Jimin, V and Jungkook performed two tracks from their album BE, Telepathy and Blue & Grey, while covering Coldplay's Fix You.
- A new Bangtan Bomb was released today which saw RM vibing to Justin Bieber's Where Are U Now, Jin reciting Twinkle Twinkle Little Stars and Suga revealing which member he wants to give his photo card to.
- Bigg Boss 13's Shehnaaz Gill and popular rap singer Badshah are working together on a new song. Both took to their respective social media handles to share the news.
Pawri Ho Rai Hai goes viral: Yashraj Mukhate says, ‘Things on which I put too much mind don’t really work’
- Rihanna's new topless photo, in which she is wearing a pendant of a deity around her neck, has sparked major outrage in India. She has been accused of hurting religious sentiments.
- Singer couple Neha Kakkar and Rohanpreet Singh were reportedly at a wedding in Delhi recently. Videos from the party have been shared online. Watch them here.