Today in New Delhi, India
Mar 24, 2019-Sunday
New Delhi
  • Humidity
  • Wind

Ghaziabad: Parents worry as school where student died remains shut even after a week

The parents have been facing issues since there is no progress in the classes.

noida Updated: Aug 10, 2017 21:19 IST
Peeyush Khandelwal
Peeyush Khandelwal
Hindustan Times
Arman death case,GD Goenka School,Noida news
Arman's parents staged a dharna outside GD Goenka School at Indirapuram. (Sakib Ali/HT Photo)

Many parents of students of the GD Goenka School at Indirapuram demanded the school authorities to assure the safety of their children and reopen the school which has been shut since August 3.

On August 1 a class IV student, Arman Sehgal died after he allegedly fell inside his school premises and his parents later lodged an FIR against the school authorities.

Arman’s parents on Tuesday staged a dharna outside the school which was closed on Tuesday as well. They have lodged an FIR against the school officials for culpable homicide not amounting to murder and destruction of evidence.

However, the sequence of events has led the school authorities to close down the school. Dozens of parents on Wednesday arrived at the school but found it locked. The parents have been facing issues since there is no progress in the classes.

“The school authorities must open the school as children are suffering and they must ensure the teachers are there so that classes are held as per schedule. We sympathise with parents of the victim but the school management is not turning up and not coming into the picture. I went to the school on Wednesday and found no one. Some policemen were standing and guards were on the main gate,” said Sonu Tyagi, a parent.

They said they get messages from school for some “administrative work” and still do not know when the school will open.

“The case is now between Arman’s parents and the school management. It will be decided with time. But other children should be allowed to continue with classes for now. Their studies are suffering,” he added.

Dozens of parents also arrived on Wednesday but had to return without any further intimation from the side of the school.

“We also received message that school will not open. There were some messages that school is closed due to the death of the student. Studies of other children should be continued. There is no one available at school. There is no message for coming days as yet. The management should come and take responsibility to open the school,” said Seema, another parent.

“They should come forward and assure parents about the safety of our children which is a prime concern. Reason for closure is known to everyone after the incident. I want to get assured that I can leave my children without any concern at school. Even if studies get affected for 3-4 days, I want assurance about the safety of children. The school authorities have to come forward and face parents,” she added.

Apart from the police investigation, the district magistrate had also initiated a magisterial inquiry which is already underway but has drawn a naught till Wednesday. Rajesh Kumar Yadav, additional district magistrate, who is also the inquiry officer, had to postpone his visit on Tuesday and Wednesday as the school remained closed.

“No one has come to get his statements recorded during the inquiry period. We have spoken to the district inspector of schools to get in touch with school officials and ask them to open. If other parents give us complaints about closure of the school, we will take action,” Yadav added.

Since the incident happened, the school authorities have remained incommunicado. When Hindustan Times tried to contact the principal and the vice principal of the school, their mobile phone remained switched off or were not reachable.

First Published: Aug 10, 2017 21:19 IST