New Delhi -°C
Today in New Delhi, India

Sep 17, 2019-Tuesday



Select city

Metro cities - Delhi, Mumbai, Chennai, Kolkata

Other cities - Noida, Gurgaon, Bengaluru, Hyderabad, Bhopal , Chandigarh , Dehradun, Indore, Jaipur, Lucknow, Patna, Ranchi

Tuesday, Sep 17, 2019

Noida Authority plans new policy for waste disposal

The authority would also provide funds to RWAs to ensure upkeep of parks

noida Updated: May 31, 2017 23:34 IST
Vinod Rajput
Vinod Rajput
Hindustan Times
Noida authority plans to rope in RWAs and individual residents in managing garbage at source.
Noida authority plans to rope in RWAs and individual residents in managing garbage at source.(Sunil Ghosh/HT PHOTO)

The Noida authority has decided to seek participation of residents’ welfare associations (RWAs) and interested residents for solid waste disposal in residential areas. The authority has also decided to bring a new policy under which an interested person or RWA can adopt a local park for maintenance.

“We have proposed a policy which could be implemented soon. We will approve this proposal in our upcoming board meeting on June 2 and implement it. We want to work on the concept of ‘waste disposal at source’ under the new policy,” said Amit Mohan Prasad, chief executive officer of Noida authority.

Noida, touted as a well planned city, does not even have a landfill site for scientific waste disposal. Around 660 metric tonnes of municipal waste is generated every day in Noida.

“Our idea is that RWAs adopt local parks and install waste convertor in their respective areas to make compost out of green waste produced in kitchens. We will bear 75% cost for installing the machine that makes compost out of green waste. Remaining 25% cost would be borne by RWAs. They can use compost in local parks and also sell it to earn money,” said Prasad.

The authority also plans to give some funds to RWAs for maintenance of parks. The detailed policy on this is to be approved at the board meeting on June 2.

“By implementing the new concept, we will be able to save public funds and involve residents’ in governance. Interested people can help making city a clean,” said Prasad.

Since 1976, when Noida came to be known as a city, dumping of waste has continued on vacant lands.

Officials have earmarked a 67-acre landfill site at Greater Noida’s Astoli, which is 40 km away from Noida. Supreme Court-appointed Environment Pollution (Prevention and Control) Authority (EPCA) however is not happy with the Noida authority’s plan to have a landfill site 40 km away from the city, as it will create air pollution during transportation of waste.

Read I Noida administration to crack down on open burning, polluting vehicles

“The best is that solid waste should be processed where it is generated. The Noida authority should create a landfill site in the city,” said Sunita Narain, member, Environment Pollution (Prevention and Control) Authority, EPCA .

First Published: May 31, 2017 23:33 IST