March Lalu began leaves him behind
With the Rashtriya Janata Dal and Lok Jantantrik Party winning just 25 of the 243 assembly seats, Lalu Prasad’s 20-year sway over Bihar has been snuf-fed out. Even his wife and former chief minister Rabri Devi lost both the seats she contested.
Lalu transformed Bihar but the very transformation he set in motion has left him behind. In the mid-1990s, he seemed invulnerable, but after Wednes-day’s drubbing, he has lost his national identity.
Where does he go from here? In politics, numbers matter and he does not have them. Whether the Congress, which has done even worse than him, will abandon its current policy and seek him out as an ally again remains to be seen.
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- In case of PMBJP, procurement is done directly through drug manufacturers by asking them to compete in tender.
- Several party leaders are putting their best foot forward in order to stake a claim to lead the party in the state, said party leaders.
- A senior official said workers associated with the Jeevika scheme have been tasked with the job of ensuring high footfall of women for vaccination on March 8.
- Manu Gandhi, in whose arms Mahatma Gandhi had collapsed after falling to bullets of an assassin on January 30, 1948, in Delhi's Birla House, was his dutiful companion in the crusade for Independence and a chronicler of his life.
- The low footfall has prompted the state to mobilise more technical manpower so that senior citizens do not have to wait for vaccination.
- The minister, who is a leader of the Vikassheel Insan Party (VIP), later said he will make sure to attend events where he is scheduled to be present in future.
- A BJP leader has urged chief minister Nitish Kumar to ensure that the money meant for welfare scheme is spent for its purpose.
- Copy evaluation for Matric examination conducted by Bihar state education board will begin on March 12 and conclude on March 24.
- After the death of a 2016-batch final-year MBBS student at the NMCH, Shubhendu Shubham (23), who had contracted the virus, the state health department had advised the medical college to get real-time polymerase chain reaction (RT PCR) test of all medicos done.
- Four cities from Bihar -- Patna, Biharsharif, Bhagalpur and Muzaffarpur, participated in the survey. Muzaffarpur was adjudged the lowest in the Ease of Living Index.
- The minister was replying to the debate on his department’s budgetary demand of ₹38,035 crore, which was passed by the Bihar Vidhan Sabha
- The deputy CM acknowledged the members’ sentiments and said he would strive to resolve the issues affecting the devotees and tourists
- Nitish Kumar had got Renu Bhawan built in the village at a cost of ₹two crore but tourism infrastructure needs to be developed for customized tour packages, says Renu's son.