Nitish set to take oath
The stage was set and thousands of people on Friday started gathering at the sprawling Gandhi Maidan in Patna to witness Nitish Kumar take oath as Bihar's chief minister for a second consecutive term after a historic win in assembly polls.
Nitish Kumar did not want to be sworn in at Raj Bhavan - the traditional venue for such ceremonies - because he wanted tens of thousands to attend the event, said sources in his Janata Dal-United (JD-U).
Watching Nitish Kumar being sworn in Friday afternoon would be the National Democratic Alliance's (NDA) top leadership, including ally Bharatiya Janata Party's (BJP) chief Nitin Gadkari, senior leaders LK Advani, Rajnath Singh and Arun Jaitley as well as JD-U president Sharad Yadav.
Thousands of people from different parts of the state have already arrived here and more are likely to reach before Nitish Kumar formally takes oath at 2.30 pm.
"We have made elaborate arrangements for the function and deployed over 4,000 security personnel in and around Gandhi Maidan," Patna district magistrate Jitendra Kumar Sinha said.
In 2005 too, Nitish Kumar had taken oath at the same venue. He had been chief minister for just seven days in 2000.
Lalu Prasad had been sworn in at Gandhi Maidan March 10, 1990, and some say at that time too it had been the idea of Nitish Kumar, who was then very close to the Rashtriya Janata Dal (RJD) leader.
For the NDA, the day is particularly significant as it has returned to power for a second term by sweeping the polls. The NDA combine swept the Bihar assembly polls - held from Oct 21-Nov 20 - with the JD-U winning 115 seats and the BJP 91 seats in the 243-member house.
Nitish Kumar was Thursday formally invited to form the government again. Earlier, Nitish Kumar was unanimously elected leader of the NDA legislature party - comprising legislators of his JD-U and BJP.
He along with other NDA leaders met Governor Debananda Konwar and handed over letters of support from the newly-elected legislators of the twin-party alliance.
According to sources close to Nitish Kumar, a 35-member council of ministers with 20 from the JD-U and 15 from the BJP would also be sworn in onFriday.
Earlier, Nitish Kumar was elected leader of the JD-U legislature party and Deputy Chief Minister Sushil Modi was elected leader of the BJP legislature party.
"Nitish Kumar was elected at a meeting of the newly elected party legislators of the JD-U and BJP in the presence of Sharad Yadav and Arun Jaitley," a JD-U leader said.
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- The JD(U) MLC said that Gautam Kumar was suffering while the police officials were showing no urgency to submit the inquiry report, as the case was not lodged by them.
- According to the National Crime Bureau Record (NCRB), in Bihar in 2019, there were 3,707 crime incidents related to land and property disputes, while the number of people killed were 5,227, or 3.1% per lakh
- Spicejet, the lone airline with a license to fly from Darbhanga under UDAN, has again opened booking for Ahmedabad after having discontinued the direct Darbhanga-Ahmedabad flight on February 15.
- The maximum temperature in Bihar till March 15 is likely to hover around 32°C to 34°C, which is 2°C to 4°C above the normal for the season. Similarly, the minimum temperature is also likely to range between 14°C to 16°C, around 2°C higher than the season’s normal.
- Sasaram SP said he met the bereaved family and posted security guards at their house. Meanwhile, raids were being carried out to arrest the absconding accused.
- Pandey was kidnapped when he left his party’s Kidwaipuri office after attending a meeting at around 6pm on Sunday.
- Presently, the state has just 202 IAS officers against the sanctioned strength of 359.
- Several schools will not reopen just yet; they are planning to conduct online examinations and commence regular classes for primary students from the next academic session.
- For persons with special ability, especially wheelchair bound ‘Divyaangs’, using the underpass is difficult as well as dangerous. Even normal people do not find most of the underpasses smooth and convenient, said an official.
- Baitha utilised the pandemic as an opportunity to turn into an entrepreneur and set up an LED bulb manufacturing unit in his village.
- A massive awareness program about the disease in the worst affected areas will also be launched.
- The advantage of the site at Dobhi is its proximity to the upcoming eastern freight dedicated corridor passing through Gaya and the Kolkata-Delhi national highway.