Today in New Delhi, India
Jul 16, 2019-Tuesday
-°C
New Delhi
  • Humidity
    -
  • Wind
    -

Four-year-old from Pune chokes on seed, survives two cardiac arrests

As an emergency measure, a tube was inserted into the boy’s main windpipe so as to push the foreign body to one side, which would enable at least one lung to start functioning. He required resuscitation after which he recovered and regained consciousness.

pune Updated: Jul 18, 2018 17:47 IST
HT Correspondent
HT Correspondent
Hindustan Times, Pune
Pune,chokes,seed
The child with his parents.(HT PHOTO)

Doctors recently saved the life of a four-year-old-boy who was brought to a private hospital complaining ingestion of unknown foreign body followed by choking and difficulty in breathing. The child suffered a cardiac arrest at the hospital as something was stuck in his windpipe.

As an emergency measure, a tube was inserted into the boy’s main windpipe so as to push the foreign body to one side, which would enable at least one lung to start functioning. He required resuscitation after which he recovered and regained consciousness. The medical team carried out a CT scan with virtual bronchoscopy to understand the nature of the foreign body better. The jammed foreign body had caused severe inflammation and swelling to the bronchus.

The patient was shifted to Jehangir hospital on July 2. The bronchoscopy revealed a seed stuck in the bronchus causing obstruction to the lung. While undergoing treatment, the child got an attack of fits on July 3. His heart slowed down and the child suffered another cardiac arrest. The paediatric emergency team then carried out cardiopulmonary resuscitation and revived the child.

The child was shifted to the paediatric intensive care unit (PICU) and put on ventilator along with medicines to support the pumping of the heart by Dr Sagar Lad and his team. Paediatric surgeon Dr Dasmit Singh then performed a bronchoscopy, but it was impossible to dislodge the foreign body. The next option was thoracotomy where an opening was made in the bronchus, and the foreign body was successfully grasped and removed. The open surgery had to be carried out without losing much time as the child was very low on oxygen levels.

In due course of time, he was weaned off the ventilator onto spontaneous breathing and his oxygenation remained stable. Later, the child recovered and was discharged.

First Published: Jul 18, 2018 17:47 IST