10 students escape electrocution at govt school near Moga
At least 10 students of Government Senior Secondary School at Dhurkot Ransih village, near here, had a narrow escape when they were electrocuted on Thursday.punjab Updated: Oct 01, 2015 23:59 IST
MOGA: At least 10 students of Government Senior Secondary School at Dhurkot Ransih village, near here, had a narrow escape when they were electrocuted on Thursday.
Eight of the students received minor injuries and were discharged after the first aid treatment, while two students Rajwinder Singh (19) and Arshdeep Singh (10) were still under medical observation at a local hospital in Nihal Singh Wala.
The incident occurred during the recess time of the school when students started playing with an iron ladder, which came in contact with 11,000 kv wire passing over the school ground. The ladder belonged to the villagers who were there for making arrangements for a religious congregation scheduled to take place on the ground on Thursday night.
Meanwhile, the lackadaisical attitude on the part of school authorities also came to fore, as the village panchayat has not taken any prior administrative permission to hold such functions on the school premises. Not only this, the school authorities have not even informed their superiors about such religious function to be organised in the school.
Speaking over the phone, Rajwinder said the intensity of electric shock was so high that even those who were not in direct contact with the ladder felt the electric jolts.
Meanwhile, investigation officer Jagseer Singh said the two injured students have received some burn injuries, but their condition was stable. “We are still recording the statements of the injured students. Action will be taken if we find any laxity on the part the organisers or the school management,” he said.
However, school principal Sarabjeet Singh said she had asked the village panchayat to take permission from the sub-divisional magistrate, but they started erecting tents, saying that they would procure the adequate permission before the start of the function. “The students are out of danger as they were rushed to hospital in time. The organisers have been asked to stop the preparation work,” she said.
Meanwhile, district education officer Gurdev Singh said the incident was unfortunate as the department has put strict ban on school authorities to give permission to anyone to hold such functions. “Action will be initiated against head of the school if needed. The police and higher officials of district administration have been informed about the incident. Moreover, the village has been now disallowed to hold any such function,” he said.
First Published: Oct 01, 2015 21:31 IST