Four electrocuted, six injured
Tragedy struck the residents of Sabhrava village on Sunday after four of its teenagers were electrocuted to death and six others suffered burn injuries after coming in contact with a loose high-voltage overhead wire near Ghariala village in the district.punjab Updated: Mar 31, 2014 09:56 IST
Tragedy struck the residents of Sabhrava village on Sunday after four of its teenagers were electrocuted to death and six others suffered burn injuries after coming in contact with a loose high-voltage overhead wire near Ghariala village in the district.
Divulging details, official sources said all the victims were on way to Ghariala in a truck along with other residents of the village to attend an annual 'mela' (fair), which is held in honour of Baba Sher Shah Wali, a Muslim saint who resided in the village during the Mughal period.
Sources said when the truck was negotiating a turn on the Ghariala-Khem Karan road; a youth sitting on the toolbox of the vehicle failed to notice the loose overhead electric wire.
In panic, he got entangled in the 11,000 KV wire and died on the spot, while three other youngsters, who were also sitting with the youth on the toolbox, got electrocuted and died on the spot.
As the electric current spread over the vehicle, six other youngsters suffered serious burn injuries. They were pulled out of the truck by some residents of Ghariala.
Others, including the driver, managed to escape unhurt after jumping off the truck.
The deceased were identified as Chindda (18), Roahsn (18), Harpal (17) and Nishan (17), while the injured are Sukhdeep (16), Joban (15), Robinpreet (12), Rana (23), Gurnishan (12) and Mandeep (15).
While five of the injured were shifted to the civil hospital at Patti, Joban was referred to a hospital in Amritsar due to serious nature of his injuries.
Deputy commissioner BS Dhaliwal, who visited the spot, said he had directed the Punjab State Power Corporation Ltd to give a detailed report on the cause of the tragedy and also fix responsibility for the loose overhead wires.