Haryana Jat bodies divided over timing of agitation for reservation
With members of the Jat community scheduled to re-launch their stir for reservation in government jobs and education, the leadership in the state seems to be speaking in two voices over the issue.Updated: May 13, 2015 23:29 IST
With members of the Jat community scheduled to re-launch their stir for reservation in government jobs and education, the leadership in the state seems to be speaking in two voices over the issue.
"The scheduled date of September 25 is a far time away. We cannot wait that long as thousands of youth, including students and job aspirants have already been denied reservation under the Other Backward Class (OBC) category," says Akhil Bhartiya Jat Aarkshan Sangarsh Samiti (ABJASS) Haryana president Hawa Singh Sangwan, adding that the agitation needed to be started soon.
Sangwan also claimed that the decision to hold the September 25 rally at Ramlila Maidan in New Delhi was taken in the absence of several Jat leaders.
"The decision was taken before several leaders could reach the Delhi on May 11," he claimed.
Without taking names, Sangwan said, "Some people want to take political advantage of the agitation. We will not allow them to use the platform for political interests."
He claimed that the khap panchayats in the states supported him and he had been holding meetings with the youth who had been victims of the non-implementation of the reservation policy.
When the issue was raised with Sanyunkat Jat Arakhsan Sangarsh Samiti president HP Singh Parihar, he refuted the differences with the Jat leaders claiming, "We are united and the decision to hold a national rally at the Ramlila Maidan was taken unanimously."
"We need time to bring 5 lakh people at the September 25 rally. We also want to give time to the Central government, which has filed a review petition and assured the Jat community of all support," he added, claiming that the agitation had started and all state units had been directed to hold meetings and make them aware of the agitation.
'Will file 1,800 applications in SC'
Parihar told HT that the Sanyunkata Jat Aaraskhan Sangarsh Samiti will file more than 1,870 cases (one each for 1,870 youths of the Jat community that had reportedly been denied reservation benefits in admission and jobs after a Supreme Court ruling scrapping the OBC status for the Jat community.
"We are collecting data of about 1,800 youths of the Jat community in the country, who did not get reservation benefits in admission and government appointments after the court ruling," he said, adding, "After collecting their details we will file their applications with the SC."
First Published: May 13, 2015 19:29 IST