Health min announces Rs 2-lakh compensation deceased women’s kin
After the death of three women on three consecutive days, minister for health and family welfare Surjit Kumar Jyani on Thursday announced a compensation of Rs 2 lakh each for the families.punjab Updated: Dec 03, 2015 23:39 IST
After the death of three women on three consecutive days, minister for health and family welfare Surjit Kumar Jyani on Thursday announced a compensation of Rs 2 lakh each for the families.
Reacting to the deaths, the minister said it was not unusual that the three women died during treatment at the civil hospital as hundreds of safe deliveries took place at the hospital every month.
The minister was here to take part in a function on World Disability Day, where he told HT that if anyone was found guilty of negligence, strict action would be taken.
Jyani said, “It has to be taken into consideration that hundreds of deliveries take place at the Mother Child Hospital on the premises of civil hospital. If three women died due to reaction of medicines, it cannot be said that the services provided by the health department are responsible for these as more than 400 deliveries take place at the hospital every month.”
The minister said the 12 medicines used in case of pregnant women in state government hospitals had been banned after the incident and the health department had taken their samples. “We will send these samples for checking,” the minister said. He said the same medicines were given to other pregnant women who are safe. “We just want to make sure about the reason of the deaths,” he said.
Amrita, Sujata and Leena were referred to the CMCH by the civil hospital on Saturday after their condition deteriorated. Sujata and Amrita died on Monday and Wednesday respectively, while Leena is still getting treatment at the hospital. Hira Moti died on Tuesday after she was administrated medicines by the civil hospital.
The minister said a high-level probe headed by Dr HS Bali, director (health), was on and the report would be submitted on December 6.
Meanwhile, former health minister Satpal Gosain lashed out at the hospital authorities saying the deaths were caused due to negligence of the doctors. “Doctors who failed to provide proper treatment to these women should be immediately suspended. The health system of the state needs a strong minister,” Gosain said.
First Published: Dec 03, 2015 20:17 IST