How the Chandigarh police chargesheet nails Varnika Kundu’s stalkers
Bone up on the 300-page chargesheet against Vikas Barala and Ashish Verma, the two accused in the Varnika Kundu case:punjab Updated: Sep 22, 2017 12:13 IST
Forty-two days after the infamous Chandigarh stalking case of 29-year-old disc jockey Varnika Kundu came to fore on August 5 night, the accused Vikas Barala, 23, and Ashish Verma, 27, will face trial for abduction, stalking and wrong restraint among other charges.
Here are some nitty-gritties on the case:
1. The police on Thursday filed a 300-page chargesheet against Vikas Barala, son of Haryana BJP chief Subhash Barala, and his friend Ashish for stalking and trying to abduct Varnika Kundu, the daughter of Haryana IAS officer.
2. Coming 41 days after the incident, it charges the two with stalking (354 d), wrongful restraint (341), abduction (365), 511 (attempt to commit a crime) and Section 185 of the Motor Vehicle Act.
3. The chargesheet cites 48 witnesses.
4. Varnika Kundu and her father Haryana IAS officer VS Kundu are the prime witnesses.
5. The list of witnesses also includes the friend of Varnika to whom she was talking on phone, the PCR personnel who reached the spot and held the accused, and the police officers who picked Varnika’s call on emergency helpline number.
6. CCTV camera footage of the route has also been included.
7. Hospital employees who did the medical check-up of the accused are also listed as witnesses.
8. The mobile phone locations of all three are also included.
9. Route map of the crime scene.
10. The chargesheet will be presented to the counsel of the accused today