It tripped again: Jalandhar health centre staff use torchlight to deliver baby
Thanks to the persistent power crisis in the state, a baby girl was delivered by torchlight at a government health centre on Thursday night.Reena, 24, a resident of Nagar near Phillaur, was admitted to the Primary Health Centre at Bada Pind on Thursday morning.punjab Updated: Aug 05, 2012 00:31 IST
Thanks to the persistent power crisis in the state, a baby girl was delivered with the help of torchlight at a government health centre on Thursday night.
Reena, 24, a resident of Nagar near Phillaur, was admitted to the Primary Health Centre at Bada Pind on Thursday morning.
When she complained of acute labour pains at about 9.30 pm, there was no light at the centre due to the blackout in the area.
Though the health centre has an inverter at the operation theatre, that too was not working.
Reena's sister-in-law Mandeep Kaur, who went along with her to the operation theatre, said, "It was dark and humid inside. There was no light and no fan, either. Thankfully, I was carrying a hand fan with which I tried to comfort her.".
Apparently, the inverter in the operation theatre had run out of battery.
The staff nurse then conducted the delivery by torchlight. "I switched on my mobile phone to increase the light," said Kaur.
"Luckily, it turned out be a normal delivery. But it was an awful experience. There was not even clean drinking water at the centre," said Kaur.Reena was discharged on Friday.
Senior medical officer Kamaljit Singh informed that someone in the staff had replaced the battery of the inverter. "Due to this it did not work that day. But the mother and baby are fine."
Civil surgeon Dr RL Bassan said he would look into the incident.
Kulwinder Singh, the baby's father, confirmed that the newborn and the mother were well. "We had no option but to make do with whatever was available at the centre. It was a tou
First Published: Aug 04, 2012 21:43 IST