Khanna factory blast probe misses deadline
Sub-divisional magistrate (SDM) Purshotam Singh Sodhi has missed the September 20 deadline for completing an inquiry into the blast in a Khanna factory on September 11 in which 13 workers had died.punjab Updated: Sep 20, 2012 22:53 IST
Sub-divisional magistrate (SDM) Purshotam Singh Sodhi has missed the September 20 deadline for completing an inquiry into the blast in a Khanna factory on September 11 in which 13 workers had died.
The hold-up in the magisterial inquiry is being attributed to the delay by two deputy directors (factories) in submitting their findings.
"Two of the deputy directors (factories) appointed to assist me in the inquiry have not submitted their findings so far. They were supposed to do so by Thursday. They will now be visiting the factory on Friday to find out the reasons behind the accident. The inquiry heavily relies on their findings. I will be able to submit the report by Saturday," said the SDM.
Sodhi said he had recorded the statements of four of the injured who were undergoing treatment at the PGI in Chandigarh. "The workers revealed that a blast had occurred in the container, after which they ran towards the gate. But the fire spread so fast that they could not escape it even after coming out of the factory building," he said.
"This has given a new twist to the theory of leakage of gas, which we had been suspecting till now," he added.
Following the blast in Sanjeev Agro Food, which manufactures oil used in making soap, six persons, including three co-owners of the factory and three employees, were booked for causing death due to negligence.
Deputy director (factories) Jatinder Singh Sodhi was placed under suspension for dereliction of duty after he was found guilty of not conducting a timely inspection of the factory.
Khanna SP (headquarters) Sarabjit Singh said all the accused were still at large and the police were searching for them.