Video | Power Couple at HT: In conversation with Sukhbir Badal and Harsimrat Kaur
With polls less than a month away in Punjab, and politics at the heart of all talk for months already, HT brings to you a freewheeling chat with the power couple of Punjab — Union minister Harsimrat Kaur Badal and deputy chief minister Sukhbir Singh Badal in conversation with Hindustan Times Punjab resident editor Ramesh Vinayak.punjab Updated: Jan 08, 2017 09:37 IST
With polls less than a month away in Punjab, and politics at the heart of all talk for months already, HT brings to you a freewheeling chat with the power couple of Punjab — Union minister Harsimrat Kaur Badal and deputy chief minister Sukhbir Singh Badal in conversation with in conversation with Hindustan Times senior resident editor Ramesh Vinayak.
Watch the full video here:
Here are the highlights of what the power couple said:
On Punjab polls
• Punjab polls is a two party game. It is Akalis versus a second party divided into two or three, says Sukhbir Singh Badal.
• Akalis have focused on all inclusive development: Harsimrat Kaur Badal.
• Winning and losing is upto God. Development of Punjab is my passion says Sukhbir Badal.
• There is nothing called good poll management. If people are not with you, you cannot win: Sukhbir Badal
On drugs in Punjab
• Saying that all Punjabis are drug addicts is like throwing muck at your own self says Harsimrat Kaur Badal.
• It is a shame that the opposition stoops so low for politics that it defames its own people says Sukhbir.
• Had Bikram Singh Majithia been involved, why would we first arrest the drug lord who named him, asks Harsimrat Kaur Badal.
On politics and governance
• My father never wanted me to grow in politics. I had to prove myself to him & SAD to be here says Sukhbir Badal.
• If a government has the will, it can change the state completely says Sukhbir Badal
• I don’t hide my businesses. Every business of mine has been scrutinised thoroughly: Sukhbir Badal
• I would support prohibition in Punjab says Harsimrat Kaur.
• Any restrictive policy leads to corruption says Sukhbir Badal on prohibition.
About AAP and Kejriwal
• Arvind Kejriwal dumped everyone he has been with. He is a rank opportunist, says Harsimrat Kaur.
• AAP is ‘Made in China’ party. It was a new craze a year ago. Now they have lost face in Punjab says Sukhbir.
• Arvind Kejriwal is hobnobbing with radicals. He has no idea of Punjab’s complex panthic politics: Sukhbir Badal
• AAP formed govt in Delhi with Congress help and is now saying that SAD is mixed up with Congress. Strange isn’t it, asks Sukhbir Badal.
• Punjab is an agrarian state & needs GOI support. God forbid if AAP comes to power they will ruin Punjab fighting with Centre says Sukhbir
• Arvind Kejriwal is an agitationist and from being ‘mayor’ of Delhi he wants to be Punjab CM: Sukhbir Badal.
First Published: Jan 07, 2017 16:18 IST