Vijay to begin shooting for Jayalalithaa biopic, Thalaivi, from April
After films on the lives of legendary actors Savitri and Nandamuri Taraka Rama Rao, it is time for audiences to watch the story of actor-politician J. Jayalalithaa, former CM of Tamil Nadu, unfold on screen. Announced on the occasion of Jayalalithaa’s 71st birth anniversary, the biopic will be directed by AL Vijay and is titled Thalaivi.
The title poster was released on Sunday and it was confirmed that the project will start rolling from April. Talking to Times of India, Vijay said: “Actually, producer Vishnu Induri approached me last year with this story idea and asked me if I could direct the film. While I was excited with the idea, I was also reluctant because there’s a huge responsibility of making an honest biopic. She is an achiever who we’ve all grown up watching. But Vishnu was confident about this project. We spent the last eight months researching on her life.”
The film has story and screenplay by Vijayendra Prasad, the writer of Baahubali franchise and Bajrangi Bhaijaan.
“It’s a blessing to have Vijayendra Prasad sir with us; we worked on more than 20 drafts, and finalised this one last month. The film will focus on the journey of a woman who has been successful in a male-dominated world. The most beautiful thing about her is that she has a powerful mind and is very strong willed; she is an inspiration for many. There will be honesty in the biopic, not drama,” Vijay said.
The makers are yet to finalise who will play Jayalaithaa’s role in the film. The final draft has been locked and the team is busy finalising the cast and technicians. While GV Prakash has been roped in to compose music, Nirav Shah will crank the camera. The film will be simultaneously shot in Tamil- Hindi.
Follow @htshowbiz for more
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- Ishaan Khatter shared a throwback picture from their childhood to post a 'happy birthday' message for his half-brother, Shahid Kapoor.
- Alia Bhatt did a 'Gangubai Kathiawadi' style namaste to the paparazzi while greeting them during director Sanjay Leela Bhansali's birthday celebrations.
- On Divya Bharti's birth anniversary, here's revisiting an episode from her life when she married producer Sajid Nadiadwala and managed to keep it a secret from her father, who was opposed to the match.
- Shahid Kapoor said that he was with Mira Rajput in the labour room when she was giving birth to their daughter Misha. Mira 'whacked' Shahid when he got dizzy at one point.
- Parineeti Chopra, on being asked about a time in her life she would like to forget, said that she would like to erase her college days as she was 'hugely overweight' at the time.
- Tanishaa Mukherji wished her sister Kajol and brother-in-law Ajay Devgn on their 2nd wedding anniversary.
- Nakuul Mehta’s wife Jankee Parekh revealed how her life has changed after the birth of their son, Sufi. She said that she is busy with mommy duties, leaving her little time for social media activities.
- Kangana Ranaut announced the release date of her upcoming Jayalalithaa biopic, Thalaivi, with a short teaser. The film, directed by AL Vijay, will release on April 23.
- BTS singer Jungkook took to Twitter and shared a selfie flaunting his blue hair. The singer caused a frenzy among fans and left a few wondering if the hair colour change has something to do with his mixtape.
- Priyanka Chopra Jonas reacted to a social media user criticised her now-viral ball-shaped outfit. Earlier, Priyanka shared a bunch of memes inspired by her dress.
- Gauahar Khan revealed her father has been admitted to a hospital. The actor took to Instagram and shared pictures of how her husband Zaid Darbar and in-laws are supporting her.