Capello quits England job after Terry row
Stuart Pearce will manage England for this month's friendly against Netherlands while they search for a permanent successor to Fabio Capello, FA chairman David Bernstein told a news conference on Thursday. England and Capellosports Updated: Feb 10, 2012 01:54 IST
"He has huge experience inside and outside this organisation ... he knows the players very well," Bernstein said. "I have great confidence in Stuart, we will be in good hands. Our priority then will be to appoint a new England manager ... with a total focus on getting the best person in place as soon as we sensibly can. We don't want to rush the process, we want to do it properly, do it professionally ... we'll be putting a shortlist together of key people. We'll do that as soon as we can."
Bernstein said the board would be sitting down on Friday to discuss the issue. Tottenham Hotspur manager Harry Redknapp is the hot favourite to take over the job on a permanent basis but the Englishman said on Thursday he was not even thinking about it as his focus was on his club duties.
While Bernstein would not comment on the widespread media speculation over Redknapp, he said there was a preference for an Englishman to get the job.
The FA chairman was keen to emphasise that Capello had left the job in amicable circumstances, saying he had always behaved with "dignity and honour" and that Wednesday's events had been concluded with a handshake.
It was a sentiment echoed by Capello himself who issued a statement just before the FA news conference. "I would like to thank all players, staff and Football Association for the professionalism they have shown during my years as manager of the English National Team," the Italian said.
Capello had felt undermined when the FA stripped Terry of the captaincy after the player's criminal trial for allegedly racially abusing Queens Park Rangers defender Anton Ferdinand was put back until after Euro 2012.
First Published: Feb 09, 2012 01:41 IST