Rafael Nadal announces return to tennis after being out for a year | Tennis News - Hindustan Times
close_game
close_game

Rafael Nadal announces return to tennis after being out for a year: ‘I don't deserve to end like this'

AP |
Dec 01, 2023 06:33 PM IST

"After a year of not competing, it is time to come back," Nadal said in a video. "It will be in Brisbane in the first week of January. See you there."

Rafael Nadal will return to playing at the Brisbane International in Australia in January, the 22-time Grand Slam champion said Friday.

(FILES) Spain's Rafael Nadal(AFP)
(FILES) Spain's Rafael Nadal(AFP)

"After a year of not competing, it is time to come back," Nadal said in a video posted on social media. "It will be in Brisbane in the first week of January. See you there."

Hindustan Times - your fastest source for breaking news! Read now.

The 37-year-old Spaniard has not played on tour since last January, when he hurt his hip flexor during a loss in the second round of the Australian Open.

In May, a little more than a week before the start of the French Open, Nadal announced that he would miss the tournament he’s won a record 14 times and wasn’t exactly sure when he might return to play.

Nadal had said then that he hoped to compete in 2024, which he expected to be his final season.

“You never know how things will turn out,” Nadal said at a news conference at the time, “but my intention is that next year will be my last year.”

He wound up having arthroscopic surgery in June in Barcelona.

Dating to the end of 2022, the Spanish left-hander has lost seven of his past nine matches, including going 1-3 this season.

Nadal's 22 Grand Slam singles titles rank second to Novak Djokovic’s 24 for the most among men.

SHARE THIS ARTICLE ON
Share this article
SHARE
Story Saved
Live Score
OPEN APP
Saved Articles
Following
My Reads
Sign out
New Delhi 0C
Wednesday, February 28, 2024
Start 14 Days Free Trial Subscribe Now
Follow Us On