After French Open, Nadal pulls out of Wimbledon due to wrist injury
Twice former champion Rafael Nadal will not play at this year’s Wimbledon due to the wrist injury that forced the Spaniard out of the French Open, he said on Thursday.tennis Updated: Jun 10, 2016 10:04 IST
Former champion Rafael Nadal will not play at this year’s Wimbledon due to the wrist injury that forced the Spaniard out of the French Open, he said on Thursday.
“I would like to tell you that after consulting my doctor and given the results of the last medical checks, I will not be able to take part in the next edition of Wimbledon,” Nadal said on his Facebook page.
“As you can imagine, it’s a sad decision but the wrist injury I suffered at Roland Garros needs time to heal.”
Nadal’s spokesperson, Benito Perez-Barbadillo, said the player’s wrist will be in a cast for another two weeks. After that, Nadal will begin anti-inflammatory treatments and physiotherapy
Wimbledon starts on June 27.
Nadal had already pulled out of next week’s Wimbledon grass-court warm-up at Queen’s Club.
He pulled out of the French Open before his third-round match.
Nadal, winner of 14 Grand Slam titles, won Wimbledon in 2008 and 2010. He was unable to defend his title in 2009 after withdrawing with a knee injury. He was runner-up in 2006, 2007 and 2011.
Nadal has only once made it as far as the fourth round since 2011, including a first-round loss in 2013, along with second-round exits in 2012 and last year.
It’s unclear whether Nadal will be able to play at the Olympics in Rio de Janeiro in August. He has been chosen as Spain’s flag carrier for the opening ceremony. Nadal missed the 2012 London Olympics because of an injury.