Tennis star Petra Kvitova’s 2016 knife attacker in custody: Reports
Czech tennis star Petra Kvitova sustained injuries to the tendons in the fingers and thumb or her left hand during the attack at her apartment in December 2016.Updated: May 24, 2018 23:36 IST
A Czech court on Thursday ordered the suspect in a knife attack on two-time Wimbledon champion Petra Kvitova to remain in custody, Czech state media reported.
Czech tennis star Kvitova sustained injuries to the tendons in the fingers and thumb or her left hand during the attack at her apartment in December 2016. She was off court for almost six months though has since returned to the top 10.
Police last year ended their investigation but state television reported on Wednesday that an anonymous tip in January led to the detention of a suspect this week. Police said the case was reopened but declined to say if a suspect has been detained.
A district court remanded a 54-year-old man into custody, state television reported on Thursday.
The court spokeswoman could not be reached for comment. She told newspaper Mlada Fronta Dnes’s website idnes.cz that the court “decided today on putting into custody the accused in the criminal case of ... P.K.”
Kvitova, 28, was ranked 11th in the world at the time of the attack. The left-hander won the Madrid Open this month, moving her up to 8th in the WTA rankings ahead of the French Open, which is due to start on Sunday.
First Published: May 24, 2018 23:17 IST