I don’t want to be next anyone: Mandana on comparison with Katrina
Iranian model-turned-actor Mandana Karimi might not have won a recently concluded reality TV show Bigg Boss 9, but she is happy with the response she has received from the viewers. She also has a pivotal role in the recently released ‘porn-com’, Kya Kool Hai Hum 3. Here, Mandana talks about how her life has changed in the past few months, and more.
What was the experience of doing a reality TV show like?
I spent 105 days in the house. I felt lonely and negative. I didn’t have friends inside the house, but ever since I have got out, I have received so much love. I feel humbled, overwhelmed and blessed. I feel like a winner.
You were a strong contender. Are you disappointed that you didn’t end up winning?
No. For me, winning isn’t important. The contestants didn’t accept me in the house, even as competition. That time I felt lonely, but when I survived in the house for so long, I realised that people outside love me. I didn’t expect to last so long. I have made a place in the hearts of the audience, which is more important to me. I am here to stay; my life has changed in the past few months.
Since you were recently seen in an adult comedy (Kya Kool Hain Hum 3), are you scared of being typecast?
No, in Bollywood, this genre hasn’t been explored much. People, perhaps, have forgotten that the Kama Sutra is also part of Indian culture. As an actor, I will give the audience what they want. Moreover, I will make my choice from the offers that come my way. I will show the audience another side of Mandana, but I can’t predict the future. I hope to get a variety of roles and a chance to work with many talented people.
For a foreigner, your Hindi is good. Did you learn it before or after signing the show?
People tell me they had no idea that I was a foreigner because of the way I behaved and presented myself. My grandfather was an Indian, and my mum is Parsi-Irani. I understood Hindi, but it was initially tough for me to talk in the language. Talking in Hindi daily on the show helped as well. No one helped me, but I heard others talking and learnt on my own.
Many foreigners try to make it in Bollywood, but Katrina Kaif is one of the few to have made it big. Do you want to be the next Katrina?
I don’t want to be the next anyone. I believe that everyone is different. Katrina is a massively successful person, and she has worked hard to reach this spot. I have faith and I believe I will be as successful as her and many others in the industry.
Is TV an avenue that you intend on pursuing?
I don’t know; there are many things that I want to do. I am enjoying the fact that people think I have talent and the ability to be an Indian film star. Whatever you are destined to have, you will. I will work hard and prove myself.
Follow @htshowbiz for more.
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- Satish Shah chose to wait in line for three hours in the scorching heat to get the Covid-19 vaccine. As he tweeted about not using the VIP entrance, fans flooded the internet with Maya Sarabhai jokes.
- Kishwer Merchant said that her pregnancy was not planned. She is currently expecting her first child with her husband Suyyash Rai.
- Jankee Parekh felt a number of emotions as she left newborn son Sufi at home for some time, while she visited the dentist. See their first photo here.
- An FIR was lodged against Rakhi Sawant, her brother Rakesh Sawant and a person named Raj Khatri. Rakhi's brother has now reacted to it.
- Rubina Dilaik was forced to sell her house after not receiving her salary for a television show, despite repeated reminders to her producers.
- As they plan a small and sweet celebration for their third wedding anniversary on Thursday, Keith Sequeira and Rochelle Rao talk about seeking help from a marriage counsellor.
- In a viral video, Rahul Vaidya of Bigg Boss 14 is seen narrating an incident about how he met Shah Rukh Khan's son Aryan at a city lounge and how the singer was impressed by star kid's humility and patience.
- Aly Goni has posted a new photo with close friend and Bigg Boss 14 co-contestant Jasmin Bhasin. Check it out here.
- Former Bigg Boss 14 contestant Kavita Kaushik has shared screenshots of the abusive messages she received on social media. "Call them out! Expose them!" Kavita wrote.
- Kishwer Merchant and Suyyash Rai announced on Tuesday that they are expecting their first child. Check out their Instagram posts.
- Amazon Prime Video has issued a new apology over the legal cases surrounding the political drama Tandav. Read it here.
- Late Pratyusha Banerjee's ex-boyfriend, Rahul Raj Singh, has said that he is waiting for the day that karma punishes Kamya Panjabi and Vikas Gupta. Both Vikas and Kamya have spoken against Rahul in Pratyusha's suicide case.
- Rubina Dilaik, Abhinav Shukla, Nikki Tamboli, Arshi Khan, and Jaan Kumar Sanu attended a Bigg Boss 14 bash thrown by Rahul Mahajan and his wife, Natalya.
- Cricketer-turned-actor Salil Ankola shares how he was rushed to the hospital after facing breathlessness, soon after testing positive for coronavirus.