Can sing, will act too!
If you want to get a break in showbiz, croon aloud. And if you want a bigger break, participate in contests like Sa Re Ga Ma Pa, Amazing Race Asia, Indian Idol and MTV Roadies.
So what if they have nothing to do with acting? They have introduced more actors than Zee Cinestars Ki Khoj or Sahara's Mr & Miss Bollywood.
No faking it
Amit Tandon, one of the finalists of Indian Idol, just happens to be Balaji's dahling. He says, "I always wanted to become an actor who could sing his own numbers in films." He is currently working in Kyunki..Saas Bhi Kabhi Bahu Thi.
Remember Qazi Touqeer of Fame Gurukul? Yes, the boy with bedroom eyes and Hrithik Roshan mannerisms. Whether you were floored by his singing prowess or not is a different matter.
A chance to make a debut with superstar Shah Rukh Khan doesn't come easy but that's what happened to Shubhi Mehta. Did you say Shubhi who? Well, she plays Gunjan Lakhani, one of the hockey players in Chak De! India. "I guess I got the role because of MTV Roadies. The producers must have seen me in the show," says Mehta.
Then there is Prashant Raj who participated in Amazing Race Asia, he is reprising Big B's Jai role from Sholay in Ram Gopal Varma Ki Aag.
But not everyone is happy. Music director Aadesh Srivastav, who judged Sa Re Ga Ma Pa and is currently judging Voice of India grouses, "It's very irritating that singing competitions are used as launchpads for acting careers."
Does this affect the channel guys too? "Not exactly," says Ashish Kaul, executive vice-president, Zee Networks. "We don't care what they want to achieve as long as they are good at what they're being called for. We give them the platform, the rest is upto them."
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- Pavitra Punia lashed out at those criticising her relationship with Eijaz Khan and reiterated that they do not need the approval of haters. The couple fell in love during Bigg Boss 14.
- Parth Samthaan opened up about his decision to quit the popular show, Kasautii Zindagii Kay, last year. He said that it had become repetitive for him after a point.
- Rakhi Sawant's Bigg Boss 14 colleague Vikas Gupta met her mother Jaya Sawant and cheered her up ahead of her cancer operation.
- Rahul Vaidya wore a sweatshirt similar to one worn by Rubina Dilaik on Bigg Boss 14, as he took off on a romantic holiday with girlfriend Disha Parmar.
- Pavitra Punia had a quick response for the paparazzi, when they asked her why she wasn't accompanied by boyfriend Eijaz Khan at the airport.
- Sumona Chakravarti has made the maximum use of limited space in her new Mumbai house, designed in Scandinavian style. Watch a video here.
- Charu Asopa celebrated her birthday with husband Rajeev Sen. Check out pictures and video from the bash.
- Bigg Boss runner-up Rahul Vaidya's fiancee Disha Parmar has shared a video of herself wearing one of his sweatshirts. "I wear my boyfriend's clothes," she wrote in her post.
- Himanshi Khurana performed to Salaam, originally picturised on Aishwarya Rai Bachchan, in a new video. Watch it here.