Double SRK bonanza on telly
Small or big screen, Shah Rukh Khan is the king. He acts, dances, plays host - in short he is a true entertainer. After being on a winning spree with two blockbusters Chak De! India and Om Shanti Om, he turns to television this year with two game shows.
The first one is tentatively titled Bade Hue to Kya Hua, which is formatted on Are You Smarter Than a 5th Grader, a US-based game show featuring adult contestants facing questions picked directly from the textbooks of first to fifth graders.
It will be aired on STAR Plus. Are You Smarter than a 5th Grader is very popular abroad and is running in 50 countries.
Produced by Siddharth Basu's Synergy Adlabs, this is Shah Rukh's second game show for the company after the hugely successful Kaun Banega Crorepati 3 (KBC) for the same channel.
"Shah Rukh will be hosting the Indian version of Are You Smarter than a 5th Grader, the biggest reality show of the past year in the US, which will be produced by Synergy Adlabs," Basu, head of Synergy Adlabs, earlier told IANS.
Reports suggest that Shah Rukh will also host the fourth season of KBC.
"We don't know when KBC is going to happen. It might come after Bade Hue to Kya Hua or the end of the year. According to the contract signed between Shah Rukh and STAR, he will finish the series he has signed for," said a source close to STAR Plus.
For his first stint on KBC, Shah Rukh apparently got Rs.10 million per episode, but his remuneration for the new show is still under wraps.
Not only in films and television, he is an even bigger king of the advertising world. The superstar has paid an advance tax of Rs.270 million ($6.8 million) on his estimated income during the current financial year of 2007-08, but a major share of it has gone into paying for his income from endorsing a slew of products and other sources.
Sources in the advertising agency for which the superstar has worked reveal that his income from endorsements fetches him Rs.1.5 billion ($38 million) a year, the highest for any Indian advertising "model".
Apart from that Shah Rukh is the costliest celebrity guest. When actors like Malaika Arora Khan, Dia Mirza and Isha Koppikar charge nearly Rs.1 million to perform at a marriage, the Badshah of Bollywood charges Rs.10 million to just grace the function and add glamour.
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- Sumona Chakravarti has made the maximum use of limited space in her new Mumbai house, designed in Scandinavian style. Watch a video here.
- Charu Asopa celebrated her birthday with husband Rajeev Sen. Check out pictures and video from the bash.
- Bigg Boss runner-up Rahul Vaidya's fiancee Disha Parmar has shared a video of herself wearing one of his sweatshirts. "I wear my boyfriend's clothes," she wrote in her post.
- Himanshi Khurana performed to Salaam, originally picturised on Aishwarya Rai Bachchan, in a new video. Watch it here.
- Check out the latest video from Bigg Boss 14 winner Rubina Dilaik in which she is seen dancing with her husband Abhinav Shukla, to a folk song.
- Rahul Vaidya and Disha Parmar left Mumbai for a quick getaway. While they did not disclose their destination, he shared a picture from their helicopter ride together.
- Rakhi Sawant's ailing mother has said that she is disappointed that Rakhi didn't win Bigg Boss 14, but would like to see her and her husband, Ritesh, participate in the next season of the show.
- Aly Goni took a video of Jasmin Bhasin doing her make-up for his birthday party on Thursday night. She responded by dropping heart-eyes emojis in the comments section.
- Nikki Tamboli opened up about steam-ironing her ex-boyfriend's boxers in Bigg Boss 14 and said that it was not an attempt to grab eyeballs. She added that she was 'genuinely' missing him.
- Salman Khan took to Instagram and Twitter to share a 'mega selfie' from the sets of the Indian Pro Music League. The star-studded photo featured Riteish Deshmukh, Genelia D'Souza, Bobby Deol, Shraddha Kapoor, Govinda, Mika Singh, Rajkummar Rao, Karan Wahi, Javed Ali and many more.