Game of Thrones: Here’s what the witch really told Daenerys about her fertility
In the last two episodes of the seventh season of Game of Thrones, it came up again and again how Daenrys Targaryen could not bear children. Tyrion brought it up when wondering about who would succeed her on the Iron Throne and Daenerys lets Jon know in sixth and seventh episode that her dragons are the only children she will ever have.
Of course, Jon asks her if she has ever considered that she may be wrong about assuming she is infertile based on a witch’s curse. So, it made us want to revisit what really happened with the witch and what she said to Dany. Is there a way out of the curse?
Back in season one, Drogo gets a nasty cut on his shoulder while fighting one of his men. The man gets killed and Drogo dismisses the wound as a mere scratch. A witch, Mirri Maz Durr, who pretends to be a healer, tells Dany that she could treat the wound and make Drogo well again. However, she practises blood magic on him and the wound becomes fatal, enough to take Drogo’s life. When Drogo is struggling to stay alive, Dany asks the witch to do something and make him well again. The witch tells her ‘only death can pay for life,’ Dany assumes she is talking about Drogo’s horse and so they sacrifice it. However, the witch was talking about the unborn child in Dany’s womb who dies so Drogo could live.
Dany is distraught at losing her child and when she goes to see Drogo, she finds him in a vegetative state, nothing like his old self. The witch had played Dany all along to punish Drogo for pillaging her village. When she asks the witch when he would be himself again, she gives a very cryptic answer:
“When the sun rises in the west, sets in the east. When the seas go dry. When the mountains blow in the wind like leaves.”
In the books, there is a second part to the curse/prophecy:
When the sun rises in the west and sets in the east. When the seas go dry and mountains blow in the wind like leaves. When your womb quickens again, and you bear a living child. Then he will return, and not before.”
Of course then she burns the witch alive after mercy-killing Drogo. She sits in the pyre with Drogo’s body and the burning witch but emerges unburnt, with her three dragons now hatched.
So Dany has since assumed that she can never bear children again. She once told Jorah in season two that the dragons are the only children she will ever have and continues to harbour that thought.
Now fans are speculating if that curse will break after the events of the season finale. In the episode, Jon and Dany finally have sex after intense sexual tension for weeks. A new theory suggests that Dany could get pregnant now that Viserion’s death has paid for the life of a child that she might conceive. This may finally put Tyrion’s doubts about a successor to rest.
Do you think the theory could be right?
Let us know @htshowbiz
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- Aly Goni has posted a new photo with close friend and Bigg Boss 14 co-contestant Jasmin Bhasin. Check it out here.
- Former Bigg Boss 14 contestant Kavita Kaushik has shared screenshots of the abusive messages she received on social media. "Call them out! Expose them!" Kavita wrote.
- Kishwer Merchant and Suyyash Rai announced on Tuesday that they are expecting their first child. Check out their Instagram posts.
- Amazon Prime Video has issued a new apology over the legal cases surrounding the political drama Tandav. Read it here.
- Late Pratyusha Banerjee's ex-boyfriend, Rahul Raj Singh, has said that he is waiting for the day that karma punishes Kamya Panjabi and Vikas Gupta. Both Vikas and Kamya have spoken against Rahul in Pratyusha's suicide case.
- Rubina Dilaik, Abhinav Shukla, Nikki Tamboli, Arshi Khan, and Jaan Kumar Sanu attended a Bigg Boss 14 bash thrown by Rahul Mahajan and his wife, Natalya.
- Bigg Boss 14 contestant Jasmin Bhasin took to Twitter to urge her fans to not spread negativity. Her tweet came amid social media wars between her fans and those of Rubina Dilaik.
- Cricketer-turned-actor Salil Ankola shares how he was rushed to the hospital after facing breathlessness, soon after testing positive for coronavirus.
- Rubina Dilaik shared a throwback swimsuit photo of herself and said that she really wants to go on a vacation. However, her husband Abhinav Shukla had a funny response.
- Rakhi Sawant hosted a party on Monday, which was attended by a number of her Bigg Boss 14 co-contestants, including Nikki Tamboli, Jaan Kumar Sanu, Vikas Gupta and Rahul Mahajan.
- Prince Harry has said that his and wife Meghan Markle's decision to take a step back from the royal family was exacerbated by a desire to not have history repeat itself. He did not want to be overwhelmed by media scrutiny in the way that his mother, Diana, was.
- Nikki Tamboli has both defended and made certain clarifications about accusing Jaan Kumar Sanu of kissing her on Bigg Boss 14.