Boston smoke scare: Passengers break windows on train after motor overheats
A commuter train on Boston’s Orange Line filled up with smoke on Wednesday, leaving panicked passengers trying to break out of compartments at Back Bay station.world Updated: Oct 27, 2016 15:51 IST
Passengers on board a commuter train in Boston had a scare on Wednesday when compartments began filling up with smoke due to an overheated motor.
Panicked passengers kicked out windows and forced exit doors apart to get out of the train that had stopped at Back Bay station on the transport network’s Orange Line.
The Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority (MTBA) said the train’s motor overheated during the Wednesday evening commute at the station. The smoke became visible to riders when the train was about to depart the station.
Officials said the compartment doors remained closed because the train was moving away from the platform.
Videos posted on social media show chaotic scenes of passengers attempting to break out of the train. Some managed to kick out the windows and helped others clamber out while some where seen trying to force open the automated doors.
Firefighters eventually evacuated the station.
Officials say five passengers were treated at the scene for smoke inhalation and three were taken to a hospital. None of the injuries were life-threatening.
According to a report in The Washington Post, the MTBA will be conducting an investigation into the matter.
The Boston transit system has been facing issues due to its outdate infrastructure and trains, and has faced several smoke incidents. The most severe incident in recent times was in 2015 when one woman died of smoke inhalation. A train had stopped in a smoke-filled tunnel, trapping passengers in poisonous fumes.
First Published: Oct 27, 2016 15:48 IST