Islamic State claims Las Vegas shooting, says attacker recently converted to Islam
A shooting killed at least 50 people and wounded over 400 in Las Vegas early on Monday.Updated: Oct 02, 2017 23:12 IST
A gunman killed over 50 people and wounded more than 200 at a country music festival on the Las Vegas Strip on Sunday, raining down rapid fire from the 32nd floor of a hotel for several minutes before he was shot dead by police. The death toll would make the attack the deadliest mass shooting in US history, eclipsing last year’s massacre of 49 people at an Orlando night club. (Ethan Miller / AFP)
Islamic State has claimed responsibility for a shooting that killed at least 50 people and wounded over 400 in Las Vegas early on Monday, and said the attacker had converted to Islam a few months ago.
“The Las Vegas attack was carried out by a soldier of the Islamic State and he carried it out in response to calls to target states of the coalition,” the group’s news agency Amaq said in reference to the US-led coalition fighting the group in the Middle East.
“The Las Vegas attacker converted to Islam a few months ago,” Amaq added.
First Published: Oct 02, 2017 19:54 IST