Las Vegas shooting: Here’s what we know till now
Police suspect the gunman was a ‘lone wolf’ but are on the lookout for his female companion.world Updated: Oct 02, 2017 19:02 IST
Fifty people were killed and more than 200 wounded when a gunman opened fire during a music festival at the Mandalay Bay Resort and Casino on the Las Vegas Strip late Sunday evening. One suspect has been shot by the police.
Here is what we know about the attack till now:
1) The shootout occurred towards the end of a country music festival, while singer Jason Aldean was performing on-stage. Festival-goers initially mistook the sound of gunfire for fireworks, before fleeing in a panic. Almost 40,000 people are said to be at the concert
2) Las Vegas police has confirmed that 50 people died in the attack, while more than 200 were injured.
3) Off-duty police officers who were attending the concert were among the dead. At least two off-duty officers are being treated for injuries.
4) Las Vegas police released an official statement identifying the shooter as 64-year-old Stephen Craig Paddock, a white male from Mesquite, Nevada. Paddock was found dead by the police after they used a controlled explosion to breach his room on the 32nd floor of the hotel. As many as 10 firearms were found in the hotel room.
5) The police also said they believed Paddock was the only shooter but his motives remain unknown.
At this time we do not believe there are any more shooters. More information to come shortly from @Sheriff_LVMPD.— LVMPD (@LVMPD) October 2, 2017
6) At a press conference, Sheriff Joseph Lombardo of the Las Vegas Metropolitan Police responded to speculation around the identity of the shooter:
“There has been multiple conjecture coming through social media that there is multiple shooters at other resorts. That has been proven to be false. Additionally there has been accusations or beliefs that there is some explosive going off. That is also false. The only explosive contained in this event was our Swot team breaching the room. We are pretty confident that there is no longer a threat other than we are attempting to locate the person of interest.”
7) The police is also on the lookout for Marilou Danley, a Filipino-origin woman, who is said to be the shooter’s companion. Danley has been named as a ‘person of interest’ in the shooting and the police has released a photo of her:
Marilou Danley is being sought for questioning re the investigation into the active shooter incident. If seen please call 9-1-1! pic.twitter.com/Z83XvcHejH— LVMPD (@LVMPD) October 2, 2017
At a press conference, Sheriff Joseph Lombardo of the Las Vegas Metropolitan Police said: “She is an Asian female, approximately 4ft 11in, weight of 111lbs. We have not located her at this time and we are interested in talking to her for follow up.”
8) All planes flying in or out of the city’s McCarran International airport, which is east of the hotel where the incident took place, were temporarily grounded on Sunday evening, but some flights have now resumed service.
9) The University Medical Center, a hospital near the Mandelay Bay Resort and Hotel, told police not to bring in additional casualties since it was at capacity, reports The New York Times. Other injured were rushed to the Sunrise Hospital and Medical Center for treatment.
10) The Mandalay Bay Hotel and Resort is on a lockdown and is not letting people into the building. Guests have been told to stay in their rooms, reported the Las Vegas Review Journal. The hotel put out an official statement expressing condolences, but did not give out any further details:
Our thoughts & prayers are with the victims of last night's tragic events. We’re grateful for the immediate actions of our first responders. pic.twitter.com/Arf8edj1iZ— Mandalay Bay Resort (@MandalayBay) October 2, 2017
First Published: Oct 02, 2017 15:31 IST