Turkey sacks 18,500 officers, soldiers and academics in coup crackdown
Turkish authorities ordered the dismissal of more than 18,500 state employees, including police officers, soldiers and academics, in a decree published on Sunday.
The Official Gazette said 18,632 people have been sacked, including 8,998 police officers in the emergency decree over suspected links to terror organisations and groups that “act against national security”.
Some 3,077 army soldiers were also dismissed as well as 1,949 air force personnel and 1,126 from the naval forces. Another 1,052 civil servants from the justice ministry and linked institutions have been fired, as well as 649 from the gendarmerie and 192 from the coast guard.
Authorities also sacked 199 academics, according to the new decree, while 148 state employees from the military and ministries were reinstated. Turkey has been under a state of emergency since the July 2016 attempted overthrow of President Recep Tayyip Erdogan.
Turkish media dubbed the decree as the “last” with officials indicating the state of emergency could end as early as Monday. The emergency has been renewed seven times and the latest period is officially due to end on July 19.
Over 1,10,000 public sector employees have been removed previously from their jobs via emergency decrees since July 2016, while tens of thousands more have been suspended in a crackdown criticised by Ankara’s Western allies.
Turkey accuses US-based Muslim preacher Fethullah Gulen of orchestrating the attempted coup. The majority of those fired under the emergency are accused of links to Gulen.
The government refers to the movement as the “Fethullah Terrorist Organisation”. Gulen strongly denies any coup links and insists his movement is a peaceful organisation. Sunday’s decree shut down 12 associations across the country as well as three newspapers and a television channel.
Human rights defenders including Amnesty International have lambasted the purges as arbitrary but Turkey says they are necessary to remove the Gulen movement’s infiltration of state bodies.
Earlier this year, the government said more than 77,000 people had been arrested over alleged links to Gulen.
India's missions in Canada are enhancing their outreach to students from India as their numbers balloon along with a spate of incidents, including accidents, suicides, even murders. The latest such tragedy was reported on Sunday, when Peel Regional Police found the body of 20-year-old Navkiran Singh from Moga district in Punjab drowned in the Credit Valley River in Brampton in the Greater Toronto Area. No cause has yet been attributed for the death.
A no-confidence motion tabled by the Opposition against Sri Lankan President Gotabaya Rajapaksa was defeated in Parliament on Tuesday, media reports said. The motion by Opposition Tamil National Alliance MP M A Sumanthiran to suspend Parliament's standing orders in order to debate an expression of displeasure over President Rajapaksa was defeated with 119 MPs voting against it, the Economy Next newspaper reported. Only 68 MPs voted in favour of the motion, it said.
The United States hopes “India would reconsider” its decision to ban wheat exports which “will make the current global food shortage even worse”, an envoy said on Monday amid concerns with no end in sight for the Ukraine war. Agriculture ministers from the Group of Seven nations on Saturday also emphasised that India's decision to ban wheat exports would worsen the global food shortage.
Canada will quickly ratify the membership of Finland and Sweden in the North Atlantic Treaty Organisation (Nato), as and when it has been approved. Speaking to reporters during the course of a teleconference from Brussels, Canada's Minister of Foreign Affairs Melanie Joly said such ratification has support from across party lines in Canada.
The United Kingdom on Tuesday accused Russia of being prepared for artillery use against inhabited civilian areas in Chernihiv, to the north of Ukraine's Capital, Kyiv, pointing to what it said was the 'scale of damage' to residential buildings caused by Moscow's troops in the region. The UK also projected that Moscow, in a bid to regain momentum in its advance in the Donbas area, would keep relying 'heavily' on massed artillery strikes.