Five wounded at Shanghai airport after man hurls ‘self-made’ bomb | world | Hindustan Times
  • Thursday, Jul 19, 2018
  •   °C  
Today in New Delhi, India
Jul 19, 2018-Thursday
New Delhi
  • Humidity
  • Wind

Five wounded at Shanghai airport after man hurls ‘self-made’ bomb

At least three people were seriously injured when explosions rocked the Shanghai Pudong International airport in eastern China on Sunday afternoon, triggering panic among passengers in the busy airport.

world Updated: Jun 12, 2016 19:02 IST
Shanghai Pudong International airport,airport explosion,self made explosives
The accident happened at around 3 pm near a checking counter at Terminal 2 at the Shanghai Pudong International airport.(AP file)

Five people were wounded inside the busy Shanghai Pudong International airport on Sunday afternoon after a man hurled a self-made bomb into a crowd, triggering an explosion and panic among passengers.

Among those injured was the suspect himself, police said, adding the others included a Philippines national.

The incident occurred at a checking counter in Terminal 2 of the airport, which was packed with departing passengers and their relatives.

According to the Shanghai police, the suspect walked towards one of the checking counters, took out “self-made” bomb out of his backpack and lobbed it into a crowd of people. The bomb appeared to have been made out of a beer bottle.

As the crude explosives went off with a loud sound, triggering a plume of smoke and panic, the suspect took out a knife, cut his own neck with it and slumped to the ground, the Shanghai police said in a statement posted on its Twitter-like Weibo site.

In the ensuing melee, passengers ran for cover amid the fear of a terror attack.

The suspect, who is seriously injured, has yet to be identified.

“The other injured include a 53-year-old Philippine man, as well as a 67-year-old man and a 64-year-old woman, both of whom are Chinese. They sustained injuries to their heads, hands and legs,” doctors told state media.

The injured were taken to the Pudong New District People’s Hospital.

Pictures put up on China’s social media showed people running from the spot amid smoke.

Police had cordoned off the area and had dispatched a large number of personnel to the site.

Airport authorities said the incident did not disrupt flight schedules.

The motive behind the attack remained unclear till late evening.

In July, 2013, a wheelchair-bound man from south China triggered a home-made bomb in a crowded terminal at Beijing’s main airport, injuring only himself.

It later emerged that the suspect had been beaten up security guards in 2005 and had been paralysed since then. He had failed to get his attackers punished and had planned the airport attack in desperate attempt to seek attention.