Bomb attacks in Lahore, Karachi kill 11

Two bomb attacks in the Pakistani cities of Lahore and Karachi killed at least 11 people today and left more than 50 people wounded, officials said.
HT Image
HT Image
Updated on Jan 25, 2011 08:54 PM IST
Copy Link
AFP | By, Lahore

Two bomb attacks in the Pakistani cities of Lahore and Karachi killed at least 11 people on Tuesday and left more than 50 people wounded, officials said.

A teenage suicide bomber in Lahore blew himself up near a Shiite Muslim procession, killing at least nine people and wounding more than 50, in an attack claimed by Taliban militants who said they had targeted police.

About 90 minutes later a motorcycle bomb detonated in the southern city of Karachi, killing two people, including a policeman, police and hospital officials said.

A doctor at Lahore city's main Mayo Hospital, said the dead included at least three police officials and one woman.

"We have received nine bodies so far," said Zahid Pervez.

There were 52 people wounded, 20 of them critically, including women and children, he added.

"It was suicide attack," said senior police official Rana Faisal.

"The bomber came close to our checkpoint, threw a bag near a car and blew himself up when policemen tried to stop him."

The bombing took place at a busy intersection in downtown Lahore.

Television footage showed policemen and ambulance workers carrying the wounded away with their hands and on stretchers, while other officers tried to calm the shocked and confused crowd.

Another senior police official, Rao Sardar, said police had tried to apprehend the boy before he blew himself up.

"The policeman stopped this boy and wanted to body search him," he said, adding that he was a teenager.

The suicide attack took place near a religious procession by the Shiite Muslim community to mark the 40th day of mourning of the death of the Prophet Mohammad's grand son Imam Hussain.

An hour and a half later a second bomb explosion in troubled Karachi city, a teeming coastal metropolis where sectarian and political violence is rife, killed two people and injured four others.

"Two bodies have been brought to the hospital, one of the dead is a policeman, the other is still being identified. There are four injured brought here. One is a policeman," said the deputy chief of Karachi's main Jinnah Hospital, Semeen Jamali.

City police chief Fayyaz Leghari said it was a motorcycle bomb but could not yet confirm the target.

"When the bomb exploded it was huge and heard far away... we are still collecting details about the blast and wounded," he said.

The Pakistani Taliban claimed responsibility for the Lahore attack which they said was aimed at security officials in revenge for military operations and US drone attacks targeting militants in their northwest stronghold.

"We claim responsibility for the suicide attack on police in Lahore," said Azam Tariq, spokesman for militant umbrella group Tehreek-e-Taliban Pakistan (TTP), in a telephone call to AFP in Miranshah, the main town in restive North Waziristan tribal district bordering Afghanistan.

"We regret the loss of civilian lives in the attack and warn people to keep away from security forces and government property," he said.

"The attack was in retaliation for drone strikes and military operations in tribal areas. We have more than 3,000 trained suicide bombers," he added.

A city of eight million near the border with India, Lahore has been increasingly subject to Taliban and Al-Qaeda-linked attacks in a nationwide bombing campaign that has killed more than 4,000 people in three-and-a-half years.

Sunni Muslim militant groups have frequently targeted Pakistan's Shiite minority.

Triple suicide bombings at a Shiite mourning procession killed at least 31 people and wounded 280 others in Lahore in early September.

Pakistan tacitly cooperates with the US drone bombing campaign, which Washington does not openly acknowledge, but which US officials say has severely weakened Al-Qaeda's leadership.

Prime Minister Yousuf Raza Gilani "strongly condemned" the suicide attack and ordered an immediate inquiry to investigate the attack, a statement said.

SHARE THIS ARTICLE ON
Close Story
QUICKREADS

Less time to read?

Try Quickreads

  • At least six people were killed and around 30 wounded on July 4 when a gunman opened fire from a rooftop at a Fourth of July parade in the Chicago suburb of Highland Park.

    US July 4 parade shooting suspect contemplated 2nd shooting: Police

    The man charged with killing seven people at an Independence Day parade confessed to police that he unleashed a hail of bullets from a rooftop in suburban Chicago and then fled to the Madison, Wisconsin, area, where he contemplated shooting up an event there, authorities said Wednesday. The parade shooting left another American community reeling — this time affluent Highland Park, home to about 30,000 people near the Lake Michigan shore.

  • People participate in a candle march on the death anniversary of social activist Father Stan Swamy, in Kolkata, India on Tuesday. (PTI)

    Stan Swamy death: US Congressman asks India to set up independent investigation

    On the first anniversary of the death of Father Stan Swamy, the Jesuit priest accused in the Bhima Koregaon/Elgar Parishad case who died in custody, a United States (US) Congressman has introduced a resolution in the House of Representatives commemorating Swamy's life and demanding that the Government of India set up an independent investigation into his “arrest, incarceration and death”. India has, in the past, rejected international criticism around Swamy's arrest.

  • British Prime Minister Boris Johnson speaks during Prime Minister's Questions at the House of Commons in London, Britain.

    ‘I will not resign,’ says UK PM Boris Johnson | List of Tory MPs who quit govt

    Amid a string of resignations, UK Prime Minister Boris Johnson on Wednesday told a parliamentary committee that he was not going to resign, and that an election is 'the last thing the country needs'. Senior ministers of Johnson's government were reportedly geared up to ask Johnson to quit as prime minister, British media said, over the latest developments. Were Johnson to go, the process to replace him may take a couple of months.

  • India’s Enforcement Directorate’s searched Vivo’s office at 9 To 9 mall in Patna, Bihar, on Tuesday. (ANI)

    India should probe Vivo according to law, not discriminate: China

    China on Wednesday said it hopes India would conduct investigations into the Chinese smartphone company Vivo according to law and provide a “fair” and “non-discriminatory” business environment for Chinese firms. China is closely following developments related to the raids on the offices of Vivo in India, Chinese foreign ministry spokesperson, Zhao Lijian, said on Wednesday when asked about the case.

  • Brazilian model and sniper Thalito do Valle in a screengrab from her YouTube video. 

    Brazilian model, sniper killed in Russian military strike in Ukraine: Report

    A Brazilian model who had joined the Ukrainian army and trained as a sniper to help fight against invading Russian forces has been killed in combat, according to media reports. Thalita also took part in humanitarian missions and fought the Islamic State in Iraq, according to a report by the Daily Mail. Ex-Brazilian soldier Douglas Burigo, 40, who returned to find Thalita was the only soldier left after the first strike took place, British publication Daily Mail claimed.

SHARE
Story Saved
×
Saved Articles
Following
My Reads
Sign out
New Delhi 0C
Thursday, July 07, 2022