Cricket Australia 'shocked' by shootings
Cricket Australia expressed shock and condemnation at today's attacks on the Sri Lankan team touring Pakistan.world Updated: Mar 03, 2009 12:17 IST
Cricket Australia expressed shock and condemnation at Tuesday's attacks on the Sri Lankan team touring Pakistan.
"Australian cricket has many friends in Sri Lanka and in Pakistan and we sincerely hope they are all safe after this awful incident," Cricket Australia chief executive James Sutherland said in a statement on Tuesday.
"Early reports are unclear but we are deeply saddened to hear reports that security officials in Pakistan have been killed in this attack.
"We will be seeking to talk to Sri Lankan and Pakistan cricket officials as soon as possible to pass on our condolences."
Australia's former Sri Lankan coach Tom Moody was also shocked by the attack, which left five members of the Sri Lankan cricket team wounded.
"My thoughts and prayers are not only with my friends in the Sri Lankan cricket team, but with the families of everyone that has been killed or injured in today's attack," Moody said."
Australia have not toured Pakistan since 1998 because of fears over the safety of their players.
The world champions postponed a tour scheduled for last year after a spate of suicide bombings following the assassination of opposition leader Benazir Bhutto.
Australia also withdrew from the Champions Trophy, which was due to be held in Pakistan last year, but was moved to a new venue still to be decided.
Australia's decision, taken after they received advice from government and independent security organisations, upset the Pakistan Cricket Board, who accused them of double standards.
Australia had allowed its players to compete in the lucrative Indian Premier League, despite safety concerns about visiting India.
Last month Australia and Pakistan announced they had reached an agreement to play a series of one-day internationals and a Twenty20 at a neutral venue in the United Arab Emirates in April and May.