East Timor emergency extended
East Timor's acting president said on Thursday he had formally approved an extension of the state of emergency after the nation was rocked by assassination bids on its two leaders.
"Last night I approved and officially announced an extension of the state of emergency as proposed by the government for 10 days, until February 23," Fernando de Araujo, the parliament's speaker, told AFP.
Prime Minister Xanana Gusmao, who escaped an ambush on his motorcade on Monday unharmed, had requested the extension and parliament approved it late Wednesday.
An original 48-hour state of emergency imposed in the wake of Monday's attacks blamed on renegade soldiers, which left President Jose Ramos-Horta critically wounded, expired on Wednesday evening.
Under the state of emergency, a night time curfew is in place, and gatherings and rallies of people are banned.
Gusmao said that the restrictions were aimed at "continuing to maintain stability."
Ramos-Horta, a Nobel peace laureate, sustained triple gunshot wounds in an assault on his residence that saw rebel boss Alfredo Reinado killed.
The president is recuperating in an Australian hospital after undergoing three rounds of surgery while Reinado was due to buried in Dili at 0800 GMT Thursday.
There have been fears that Reinado's death could stoke unrest among his supporters, mainly disenfranchised youth.
Enter your email to get our daily newsletter in your inbox
- Vaccinations must be administered within three months of the travel period and travellers will be required to show negative Covid-19 test results.
- Spain’s Constitutional Court on Monday rejected last-minute appeals by unions and women’s rights groups to hold any kind of street protest in the Spanish capital, following similar recent rulings by lower-level courts.
- Chandra Moore, 55, died Friday, Detroit police Sgt. Nicole Kirkwood said.
- The country’s collective investment scheme industry saw net annual inflows of 213 billion rand ($13.8 billion) in 2020, according to statistics released by the Association for Savings and Investment South Africa on Monday. That was the highest figure since 1965.
- The decision had been taken as a precaution, the National Office for Health System Safety (BASG) said late on Sunday, adding that there was "no evidence of a causal link" between the jab and the woman's death.