Gaza crisis timeline
Key events in the Israeli-Palestinian crisis since the targeted killing of a top Hamas military commander in the Gaza Strip on Wednesday:world Updated: Nov 20, 2012 22:43 IST
Key events in the Israeli-Palestinian crisis since the targeted killing of a top Hamas military commander in the Gaza Strip on Wednesday:
- Wednesday November 14
- Ahmed Jaabari, head of the military forces of Hamas which rules the Gaza Strip, is killed by an Israeli missile in Gaza City. His bodyguard also dies.
- The Israeli military says it is prepared to launch a ground operation if necessary to stamp out rocket fire from Gaza into Israel.
- A spokesman for the Ezzedine al-Qassam Brigades, which Jaabari headed, says Israel has "opened the gates of hell."
- Egypt, the first Arab state to sign a peace treaty with Israel, withdraws its ambassador from Tel Aviv.
- US ambassador Susan Rice reiterates Washington's position that Israel had the right to self-defence.
- Thursday November 15
- New Israeli raids on Gaza kill 11 more civilians, while Israeli police say a rocket attack from Gaza has killed three people in the southern town of Kiryat Malachi. Hamas rules out a truce.
- Russia condemns Israel's "disproportionate" use of force while calling on Palestinian militants to stop rocketing Israel. The United States says there is "no justification for the violence that Hamas and other terrorist organisations are employing against the people of Israel."
- Egypt's President Mohamed Morsi rejects Israel's "aggression" in Gaza. Iran calls the operation "organised terrorism," while Turkey's foreign minister describes it as a "crime against humanity."
- Friday November 16
- Militants in Gaza fire rockets at both Tel Aviv and Jerusalem. Israeli troops mass near the Gaza Strip, amid warnings of a possible ground operation.
- Egypt's prime minister, Hisham Qandil, visits Gaza vowing to boost efforts to secure a truce.
- Saturday November 17
- Israeli air strikes kill a further 15 Palestinians in Gaza. The Arab League says it will send a delegation to the Strip, while Hamas leader Khaled Meshaal is in Cairo for talks on a possible ceasefire.
- Sunday November 18
- Diplomatic efforts intensify, while Israeli strikes kill 31 Palestinians in the deadliest day so far. Ten of the dead are members of a single family -- including five small children -- whose house is pulverised by an Israeli missile.
- Israeli forces also strike two media centres in Gaza City, injuring eight journalists, one of whom loses a leg, according to a Palestinian spokesman.
- Monday November 19
-The death toll among Palestinians goes over 101, with at least 24 more killed in a single day.
- Tuesday November 20
- While diplomatic efforts continue, Israel drops leaflets over Gaza City warning residents to leave their homes and gather in the city centre.
-The Palestinian death toll goes over 120, while the Israeli toll stands at three dead and over 50 injured by rocket fire.
-The number of missiles fired from Gaza into Israel stands at well over 1,000 since the start of the crisis. Of that total, 715 missiles landed in southern Israel, while 359 were shot down by Israel's Iron Dome defence system.
-Gunmen in Gaza shoot dead six local people described as "collaborators" with the Israelis.
-UN Secretary General Ban Ki-moon travels to Jerusalem for talks.