Google starts online donation campaign for Myanmar victims
Internet major Google initiates an online donation campaign for the cyclone victims in Myanmar and commits to provide up to $one million financial assistance for relief works.Updated: May 11, 2008, 11:26 IST
Internet major Google has initiated an online donation campaign for the cyclone victims in Myanmar and has committed to provide up to $one million financial assistance for relief works.
Google, which would donate up to one million dollars for the relief works in Myanmar, has called upon users to join efforts to assist the cyclone victims.
Myanmar was hit by the devastating Cyclone Nargis last week. Although, the exact death toll is yet to emerge, nearly one lakh people are estimated to have been killed in the disaster.
The search engine has teamed with United Nations International Children's Emergency Fund (UNICEF) and Direct Relief International, an NGO which provides medical assistance to people affected by poverty, disaster and civil unrest.
"Your donation will help survivors and other disaster victims rebuild their communities and their lives. In addition, when you donate on this page, Google donates too. We'll donate up to one million dollars to help organisations provide relief," said a message posted on the webpage (www.Google.Com/myanmarcyclone).
The initiative of Google is titled 'Support disaster relief in Myanmar'. However, details of the donations made through the website were not available.
Meanwhile, American Red Cross which has the 'International Response Fund' through which people can make donations for relief works across nations, has called for donations for the Myanmar cyclone victims.
People can donate a minimum of $10.
"Every day people around the world are suffering from countless crises, like the cyclone in Myanmar. Your gift to the American Red Cross International Response Fund helps provide them immediate relief and long-term support through supplies, technical assistance and other support," according to its official website.
On Friday, the UN had appealed for donations to the tune of 187 million dollars from its member countries and in response to the call, the international body has received donations worth $77 million.
The UN anticipates that 187 million dollars of donation would help to aid at least 1.5 million people in the affected areas for the next six months, especially to address the rising food needs in Myanmar.
UN Emergency Relief Coordinator and Under-Secretary-General for Humanitarian Affairs John Holmes had said the amount included bilateral assistance and assistance through the Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies.