Pak not satisfied with India's replies on Headley
Pakistan is not satisfied with India's replies to its questions on LeT operative David Headley, detained in the US in connection with the Mumbai terror attacks, according to a media report today.Updated: Sep 07, 2010 15:36 IST
Pakistan is not satisfied with India's replies to its questions on LeT operative David Headley, detained in the US in connection with the Mumbai terror attacks, according to a media report today.
"The Indian response to our queries is hardly relevant," a senior official was quoted as saying by the Dawn newspaper.
Legal experts have examined the latest Indian dossier containing answers to questions posed by Pakistani investigators on Pakistani-American national Headley.
The Interior Ministry had last month sent about 50 questions to Indian authorities about Headley's role in the 2008 Mumbai terror attacks.
The questions related to his nine visits to India and meetings with people there. India was asked if Headley had been under surveillance during the visits.
The replies to Pakistani queries were handed over to Pakistan's High Commissioner to India Shahid Malik on Friday.
There has been no official word from the government on the latest Indian dossier.
Foreign Office spokesman Abdul Basit said the material provided by India was still being looked into.
India had earlier dismissed Pakistan's questions on Headley, the son of a late Pakistani broadcaster and an American woman, as "delaying tactics".
The latest development on Headley came days after Interior Minister Rehman Malik acknowledged that the trial of seven Pakistani suspects linked to the Mumbai attacks had stalled in a Rawalpindi-based anti-terrorism court.
He said it was necessary to form a commission that could go to India to record the statement of two key witnesses to take the trial forward.
India had suggested that the two witnesses – a magistrate who recorded the statement of Ajmal Kasab, the lone surviving Mumbai attacker, and a police officer – could testify via video-conferencing.
Since this is not permitted by Pakistani laws, Malik said a decision was made to approach the anti-terrorism to form the commission.
Though Malik told the media last week that prosecutors would approach the court to seek the formation of the commission on Monday, sources told PTI that authorities were yet to take any step in this regard.