Police application for extending Haneef's detention delayed
Australian Federal Police's application to further extend the time they can hold Indian doctor without charge as part of their probe has been delayed until this afternoon.Updated: Jul 11, 2007 11:44 IST
Australian Federal Police's application to further extend the time they can hold Indian doctor Mohamed Haneef without charge as part of their probe into the botched UK terror plot has been delayed until this afternoon.
Police was expected to apply to hold Haneef at the Brisbane watch house for an extra five days this morning.
But the accused's lawyer Peter Russo said outside Brisbane Magistrates Court that the application had been delayed.
Russo said the application would now be heard after 4pm (local time) on Wednesday, but he was unsure how long the AFP was now asking for, The Australian newspaper reported.
AFP representatives lodged an application for a five-day extension on Monday, but the magistrate hearing the case only agreed to a 48-hour interim order to allow them to compile their case.
The order is due to expire shortly after 6pm tonight.
Russo said he, and barrister Stephen Keim, would oppose the extension.
"Depending on what's in the material we will maintain our opposition to the downtime being extended," he said.
Downtime is the period in which a person can be detained without charge before the 12 hours of questioning begins.
He said his client had not been allowed to phone his wife in India because her phone number needed to be verified for security purposes, but said the Indian consulate had confirmed the number this morning.
Haneef has been held for nine days without charge since his arrest at Brisbane International.
First Published: Jul 11, 2007 11:36 IST