Third suspected SARS case reported in China
China on Monday said a third suspected SARS case had been diagnosed in Guangdong province.world Updated: Jan 12, 2004 15:41 IST
China on Monday said a third suspected SARS case had been diagnosed in Guangdong province triggering fears of a fresh outbreak of the deadly respiratory disease in the country.
Guangdong povincial health department in southern China said a 35-year-old man, isolated since Saturday for possible symptoms of Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome, is now a suspected case.
China's Ministry of Health also confirmed the third suspected SARS patient, who first reported fever on December 31 and was now receiving treatment at a hospitalin Guangzhou, capital of Guangdong.
Doctors said that the patient was expected to leave the hospital in few days.
The first two SARS patients were also from Guangdong province, the epicentre of November 2002 outbreak which was effectively controlled last July.
A 32-year-old television producer, surnamed Luo, was released from hospital last week after treatment and the second patient- a 20-year-old waitress from Henan province- reported symptoms of fever on December 26, 2003 and is now under quarantine and receiving treatment at the Guangzhou hospital.
The woman is in stable condition and authorities have stepped up protective measures for the medical staff, local health officials said.
The third suspected case has been reported as experts from the World Health Organisation (WHO) visit Guangzhou to trace the origin of SARS virus.
First Published: Jan 12, 2004 15:41 IST