Thousands flee new Australian fires threat

Thousands of anxious Australians in the country's scorched southeast fled their homes Friday as wildfires which killed more than 200 people threatened to intensify.
HT Image
HT Image
Updated on Feb 27, 2009 09:52 AM IST
Copy Link
AFP | By, Lilydale

Thousands of anxious Australians in the country's scorched southeast fled their homes Friday as wildfires which killed more than 200 people threatened to intensify.

More than 3,000 firefighters were on the ground attempting to contain four major blazes ahead of a dangerous change in afternoon winds, as temperatures climbed towards 40 degrees Celsius (104 Fahrenheit).

Thousands of anxious locals abandoned their homes for the safety of evacuation centres, with authorities warning that conditions were the worst since the devastating February 7 firestorm that killed 210 people and razed more than 2,000 homes.

With just a tent to shelter in and a few treasured possessions, many at the Lilydale evacuation centre, on Melbourne city's eastern fringe, waited tensely beside the radio for fire news.

Ursula Lorenz and her husband, Horst, left their home in Three Bridges township for the third time in a fortnight.

Surrounded by forest and farmland, the couple said their property would be in great danger if a nearby fire advanced.

"We're in a state of perpetual nervousness," Lorenz told AFP.

"If we just had a bit of rain, just a bit, it would be so good."

Warburton resident Yvette Koula said mass evacuations had left her home resembling a "ghost town."

"The atmosphere's been very tense and eerie for the past two weeks," said Koula. "People just want to get on with their lives now, they're sick of the fires."

Hundreds of schools were closed Friday as fire crews prepared for a return to the unpredictable combination of high winds, searing temperatures and low humidity.

Volunteer firefighter David Spooner, who lost his wife and son in the February 7 inferno, urged anyone in fire zones to get out early.

"After our experience, I'd consider leaving right now, particularly if you live in an area where there is only one road in and out of the place," said Spooner.

"In a normal bushfire year you do stand a chance but with the conditions now, with all the dry foliage and undergrowth and what not, I'd go, I'd just go. I wouldn't hang around," he told local commercial radio.

SHARE THIS ARTICLE ON
Close Story
QUICKREADS

Less time to read?

Try Quickreads

  • Earlier on Sunday, the leaders of the Group of Seven (G7) had mocked Putin over his shirtless, bare-chested horse-riding picture.

    'If Putin were a woman...': UK PM Boris Johnson on Ukraine war

    Russian President Vladimir Putin would not have started the war in Ukraine if he was a woman, said UK Prime Minister Boris Johnson on Wednesday days after G7 members mocked the bare-chested pictures of the Russian leader. During his interview, the British PM also emphasized that everyone wants the Russia-Ukraine war to end. British Prime Minister Boris Johnson asked other leaders sitting around a table. "We all have to show that we're tougher than Putin."

  • FILE PHOTO: South Korea approves first homemade Covid-19 vaccine

    South Korea approves first homemade Covid-19 vaccine

    Health officials in South Korea on Wednesday approved the country's first domestically developed COVID-19 vaccine for people 18 years or older, adding another public health tool in the fight against a prolonged pandemic.

  • Sri Lanka fuel protests (Credit: @SriLankaTweet)

    Sri Lankans struggle for petrol due to fuel shortage, demonstrations to continue

    Sri Lankan doctors and other medical staff as well as teachers will take to the streets on Wednesday to demand that the government solve a severe fuel shortage at the heart of the South Asian country's worst economic crisis in decades. The government, left with only enough fuel to last about a week, on Tuesday restricted supplies to essential services, like trains, buses and the health sector, for two weeks.

  • Tehreek-e-Taliban Pakistan chief Mufti Noor Wali Mehsud.

    TTP says no breakthrough in talks with Pak General

    The chief of the outlawed Tehreek-e-Taliban Pakistan has said there won't be a dissolution of or surrender by the group even if the peace talks with the Pakistan government succeeds. In a video released by TTP, its chief, Mufti Noor Wali Mehsud, who has been leading the peace talks for the group, revealed that former Director-General of ISI and Core Commander Peshawar (Gen) Faiz Hameed has been representing the Pakistan government.

  • ‘Russian Salad’ on cafe menu at NATO summit leaves officials baffled

    ‘Russian Salad’ on cafe menu at NATO summit leaves officials baffled

    As international officials and journalists waited for the world leaders at the NATO summit venue on Tuesday, what baffled them was to find 'Russian Salad' on the in-house restaurant menu -- especially as at the summit, Russia was expected to be labelled as a 'security threat' due to its invasion of Ukraine. The dish was also sold out within hours.

SHARE
Story Saved
×
Saved Articles
Following
My Reads
Sign out
New Delhi 0C
Wednesday, June 29, 2022