UK warns nationals against travel to East Timor

Britain on Monday advised its nationals not to travel to East Timor and warned those already there to leave as violence erupted over Australian troops hunting a fugitive rebel leader.
HT Image
HT Image
Published on Mar 06, 2007 02:46 AM IST
Copy Link
AFP | By, London

Britain on Monday advised its nationals not to travel to East Timor and warned those already there to leave as violence erupted over Australian troops hunting a fugitive rebel leader.

"We advise against all travel to East Timor," the Foreign Office in London said on its website. "Renewed outbreaks of violence in February and March 2007 have resulted in some fatalities.

"There have also been incidents of looting and attacks on vehicles. There is the potential for foreigners to get caught up in the violence."

The department said the security situation was uncertain and could deteriorate quickly, adding: "If you are currently in East Timor, you should seriously consider leaving by commercial means."

Unrest on the streets of the capital Dili erupted after an unsuccessful raid on the mountain base of renegade army Major Alfredo Reinado, who was implicated in violence last year that left 37 people dead and caused 150,000 to flee.

SHARE THIS ARTICLE ON
Close Story
QUICKREADS

Less time to read?

Try Quickreads

  • A woman presenter for Tolo News, Sonia Niazi, covers her face in a live broadcast at Tolo TV station in Kabul on Sunday.

    ‘Forced to wear it’: Afghan women TV anchors cover faces on air 

    Days after the Taliban's latest order, women presenters on Afghanistan's top news channels went on air on Sunday with their faces covered. On Saturday, many of the news anchors had reportedly defied the diktat to conceal their appearance on TV but their employers had come under pressure. The Taliban's latest order was among the slew of restrictions, mostly targeting the rights of women and girls, they imposed since seizing powers of Afghanistan last year.

  • Australia's PM-designate Anthony Albanese after winning the general election at Marrickville Library and Pavilion in Sydney on May 22, 2022. (Photo by Wendell Teodoro / AFP)

    Australia elections 2022: The four key faces in PM-elect Anthony Albanese's govt

    Labor Party leader Anthony Albanese, who will be sworn in as Australia's 31st prime minister on Monday, after his party won Saturday's federal elections, will, soon after Albanese's swearing-in, leave for Tokyo, Japan, to attend a summit of the Quad group of nations. However, Albanese will not be the only Labor leader to take oath of allegiance on the day; four other party MPs will also be sworn-in.

  • US President Joe Biden. 

    Monkeypox cases something to 'be concerned about': US President Joe Biden

    President Joe Biden said Sunday that recent cases of monkeypox that have been identified in Europe and the United States were something “to be concerned about.” In his first public comments on the disease, Biden added: “It is a concern in that if it were to spread it would be consequential." “They haven't told me the level of exposure yet but it is something that everybody should be concerned about,” Biden said.

  • A local resident walks by a destroyed building after a rocket attack on a university campus, amid Russia's invasion, in Bakhmut, in the Donetsk region, Ukraine.

    As Ukraine war heads to fourth month,  a timeline of events since conflict began

    The war between Russia and Ukraine is now heading to the fourth month, with no signs of peace. The ferocious fighting which began on February 24 has killed thousands of civilians, flattened cities and forced more than six million Ukrainians to flee the country. Having already abandoned its move to capture capital Kyiv, Russia is now all out to capture the eastern and southern parts of the war-torn country.

  • A worker wearing a face mask and protective gown drives a cart along a street in Shanghai, China, Saturday. 

    Shanghai reopens some public transport, still on high Covid alert

    Shanghai reopened a small part of the world's longest subway system on Sunday after some lines had been closed for almost two months, as the city paves the way for a more complete lifting of its painful COVID-19 lockdown next week. Inside the carriages, passengers were seen keeping some empty seats between themselves. Four of the 20 lines reopened, and 273 bus routes. Most restrictions on movement will remain in place this month.

SHARE
Story Saved
×
Saved Articles
Following
My Reads
Sign out
New Delhi 0C
Sunday, May 22, 2022