Fifty-eight school children and ten women have fallen sick due to food poisoning after eating kheer (rice pudding) after Republic Day celebrations in MP’s Betul district.
The children and women have been referred to a Betul district hospital.
Gyaneshwar B Patil, collector, Betul, told HT over the phone that the complaints of sickness started after the kids and women ate the mid-day meals served to the local government school and anganwadi children.
“After 58 children and nearly ten women ate kheer, they started vomiting, following which they were brought to the district hospital for treatment. All of them are out of danger,” he said
“I have sent a district-level team to probe the matter and report back to me. If there has been any carelessness on the part of the people who prepared the food, strict action will be taken against them,” he added.
Over the past year, several incidents of food poisoning have been reported from the state.
Last month, three siblings between the ages of three and eight died of food poisoning in Panna district. In August last year, over 45 children fell ill after eating a mid-day meal at a government school in Khandwa district. In the same month, in Chindwara district, 50 students fell sick after taking mid-day meals.
In September last year, three dozen students fell sick after eating the mid-day meal at a government school in Chattarpur district. In February last year, 67 people suffered from food poisoning after having dinner at a wedding reception in Kharghone district.
Last year, on the occasion of the world health day on April 7, 150 people fell sick following dinner at a wedding reception in Dewas district. In April, over 90 persons fell ill after having lunch at a wedding reception in Ratlam district.