JNU announces new admission policy amid student protest, teachers seek President’s intervention | delhi | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Oct 21, 2017-Saturday
-°C
New Delhi
  • Humidity
    -
  • Wind
    -

JNU announces new admission policy amid student protest, teachers seek President’s intervention

Jawaharlal Nehru University on Sunday announced its new admission policy under which the varsity will have a three-stage admission process for research courses and the number of seats for the courses will be calculated as per a 2016 UGC gazette. The announcement came even as students continued to protest claiming it will lead to “seat-cut” in JNU.

delhi Updated: Feb 12, 2017 23:10 IST
Heena Kausar
Students protest outside director admissions Milap Punia’s office in the administrative block.
Students protest outside director admissions Milap Punia’s office in the administrative block.(Sushil Kumar/HT Photo)

Jawaharlal Nehru University on Sunday announced its new admission policy under which the varsity will have a three-stage admission process for research courses and the number of seats for the courses will be calculated as per a 2016 UGC gazette. The announcement came even as students continued to protest claiming it will lead to “seat-cut”.

The university uploaded its new admission policy for MPhil and PhD courses on Sunday. The entrance test will be in two parts with the first part being objective. Students will be required to get minimum qualifying marks in the test.

Part A (preliminary examination) will consist of research methodology (50%) and domain knowledge (50%).

“The second paper, which will also have subjective questions, will only be checked if the student scores qualifying marks in paper one. In part A general students have to secure 50%, SC/ST/PwD have to get 35% while OBC students have to get 45%,” said an official.

The official said forms will be out by next week for these courses.

Milap Punia, director admissions, tries to pacify students. (Sushil Kumar/HT PHOTO)

As per the new policy, weightage of Part B will be 80% while the viva will have 20% weightage.

“The existing policy of giving deprivation points to students coming from backward areas will continue. As per the existing practice, deprivation points, wherever applicable, will be added to the total score of the students in Part B and Part C tests,” the university said.

The university had earlier said that all students will have to secure 50% marks in entrance test, which will only be qualifying, and merit list will be made based on viva marks.

The new policy puts a cap on the number of students that each teacher can guide. “The intake in MPhil and PhD programmes will be calculated as per the UGC 2016 gazette notification,” said Milap Punia, director admissions.

Students claim this will lead to several schools and centres not being able to admit students to MPhil and PhD courses. “It is due to the collective pressure of the movement that administration has been forced to backtrack from the brazen unconstitutional provision of uniform qualifying marks. But students will continue with the protest at ad block until he answers our questions, reconvenes the 142nd Academic Council meeting and revokes the decision of seat cut,” said JNUSU general secretary Satarupa Chakraborty.

The JNU teachers association appealed to President Pranab Mukherjee to annul the changes to the admission policy. JNUTA will also take out a march to parliament on Tuesday against the alleged violation of the JNU Act of 1966 by the VC.