Pakistan opened fire on forward villages and posts along the Line of Control (LoC) in Nowshera sector of Rajouri district on Wednesday with the neighbouring country continuing to violate the ceasefire agreement.
The Pakistani army also opened heavy fire on Indian posts in Balakote sector of adjoining Poonch district on the intervening night of Tuesday and Wednesday.
Defence spokesman Lt Col Manish Mehta said, “Pakistani army initiated indiscriminate firing of small arms, automatics, 82 mm and 120 mm mortars from 1830 hours (6.30pm) along the Line of Control (LC) in Nowhera sector on Tuesday.”
Rajouri deputy commissioner Dr Shahid Iqbal Choudhary said Pakistani troops targeted Lam area. He said 1,795 people have taken refuge in various relief camps in Nowshera.
In the wake of fresh ceasefire violation on Tuesday evening, bulletproof bunkers (Casper vehicles) and ambulances were pressed into service for evacuation from Pukharni area in Lam, which remained peaceful after initial losses of life and property last week.
Nowshera superintendent of police Atul and subdivisional magistrate Harbans are coordinating rescue operations at Nowshera along with team.
In Rajouri district, intense shelling by the Pakistan army has forced several families from Jhangar and Bhawani areas to move to temporary shelters set up at a government higher secondary school and other safer places on their own.
Over 50 schools in Nowshera have been closed for an indefinite period while 36 in Manjakote and Doongi zones have been closed for three days, affecting 4,600 students. At least two civilians, including a minor girl, were killed as Pakistan pounded 35 villages and Indian posts with mortars.